Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband being throttled ?

Options
  • 15-08-2022 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

For the past 5 days or so our Vodafone broadband speed drops dramatically in the evenings after 7pm. We have the 1gig FTH package with 100mb up.

At the moment its about 170 down and 5 up !! Youtube, Netflix and my Nest cams are all useless.

I spoke to Vodafone support this morning and they initially fobbed me off because I was using my Orbi mesh wifi as the router and not their own. I then dug out the Vodafone router and spoke to support. I was fobbed off again telling me of contention etc causing the slow down. Come log in time for work tomorrow morning its back to its normal speed.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

It does sound like classic contention, good during the day when there is lower demand and bad in the evening when everyone is home watching Netflix.

Take a look at your contract though, in mine the commit to providing "delivering maximum and normally available download speeds above 90% of advertised speed"

4.6. Vodafone Broadband Service Speed Information: 4.6.1. Fibre to the Home Broadband Services Your broadband line can realistically deliver the speed that is advertised and Vodafone will commit to delivering maximum and normally available download speeds above 90% of advertised speed. i.e for 1Gbps service the maximum committed and normally available speed above 900Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Theres definetely something else going on if you have 170 down and Netflix, Youtube etc aren't working - is it the same on all your devices? 170Mbps is more than enough for multiple HD streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I spoke to Vodafone again yesterday evening for a half hour of testing from various devices.

The upload speed had dropped to 1.5mb at one point. They admit there's something wrong and have escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A couple of days after reporting this to Vodafone everything returned to normal !

Advertisement