Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occasional Printer

• 16-08-2022 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know of a good printer for home use that won't drive me mad the odd time I try to use it.

I have an Epson inkjet printer. I only ever use it every few months to print things like tickets or boarding passes or whatever.

Every feckin time I turn it on the stupid thing wants new ink of one colour or another .. its driving me round the bend.

Especially when all I want is to print B&W anyway...

Either the Ink is 'old' or gone.. some way.. dried out? I dunno...

And of course this normally happens when we are under pressure to get out the door ... print the stuff and lets go...

I am thinkin now can I just get a black and white printer that doesn't keep pulling this kind of c**p every time I try to use it.

Any suggestions? A Lazer printer? Is there a cheap B&W printer around these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I was in the same boat, bought a black and white brother laser printer before covid. Wife complains about lack of colour but I know the one time we need it, it will work. Apart from she's alway printing for work and using all the towner so when I go to use it it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Brother? Feck, not even a brand I was aware of 😀

What model? if you don't mind 🧐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I was the same as spent a fortune on ink cartridges so i bought a Brother Ink toner and not looked back- only black and white but does the job for printing stuff.

Bought a replacement toner cartridge on Amazon cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

laser printer is the way to go, minor drop in quality but no ink complaints.

In saying that, this is based on the research I've done being in the exact same boat as you and getting ticked off with printers

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Get a black and white laser printer, they're quite cheap and don't have any issues like inkjets would have with dried up print heads, required cleaning cycles etc after not being used for a time. They can also take generic toner quite easily so cheap overall to run.

Brother, HP etc doesn't make much of a difference as far as black and white laser printers, just buy one from a decent brand that you know will have many years of forward supply support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Brilliant lads,

Thanks very much.

Interesting to see a load of messages in such a short time.. lotsa people frustrated there ... 😁😁

Advertisement