Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate my new job and want to leave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

As others have said for as long as you carry the can they won't care as they see the work getting done and you coping. If you start leaving on time and not logging on out of hours the work won't get done and you'll be asked why.

The best thing you can do is have a cards on the table conversation with your employer upfront, depending on your exact situation you can even tell them you are considering leaving over this, if they start promising things nail them down on dates, eg. you will have 2 new people with relevant experience to help you by the end of September. If they fail to deliver on these things, then off you go. Unfortunately in my experience where you arrive into a chaotic situation, its often the culture of the company to do things in that fashion so if that seems to be the case I'd be dusting off my CV and looking elsewhere.

I will say this, there is no job and no amount of money worth making yourself ill over. If its doing that to you with no end in sight you are better off out of there. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Unmanageable workloads is a management culture problem. Ref flag for me it's when they gave you yet another project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Look for another job , that is the best solution, and don't feel bad guilty at all for that.

Dont bother mentioning this job to future employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I was in a similar situation in my last job, I handed notice (with my next job secured) just before my 6 month probation period was up so the 3 months notice per my contract wouldn’t apply. Best thing I ever did, I went from working 14 hour full on stressful days with an awful manager to more normal hours and a nice respectful team. It was the only time it’s ever happened to me. Yes it was embarrassing because I was so excited to join that company, told everyone about it and how lucky I was to get in the door. But at the end of the day no amount of money was worth it if all I did was work. It won’t look bad on your cv if it’s a one time thing - it shows maturity and good decision making to leave a job that’s not the right fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dublin49

been there,you can complain all you want but once you keep it ticking over there will be no incentive to get you help.This is the classic conundrum of a concientious worker,you need to let it fall over ,do a fair days work and no more and let the backlog become apparent,then your line manager will need to prioritise you over the million other things he probably has ahead of you.If you truly believe no one could manage the work load then you will be doing them a favour by highlighting this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I used to have crazy workload, up to 2 yrs waiting list for tasks. Was losing my mind. Had to take a couple of months out to automate it all. Which I did. No one cared. Other teams still have massive talk lists. No one's ever asked me how I cleared mine.

Look after yourself. No one else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm still there.

I cut back on my hours dramatically. I'm doing what I can. I'm trying not to stress over the workload, but it's difficult. Maybe that's my own issue, not theirs. I haven't started to look for other jobs yet, but it's still my intention to.

As other posters have said, it's never going to change in a place like this, and they are right. So either I accept that this is my working life or I move on. For me, I will need to move on, as I just can't work in an environment like that. I'm going to wait for the right job though, I don't want to be hip-hopping around again. I was considering temping or even seasonal work to tie me over. However, if I don't find anything by the end of the year, then I will leave and temp, cos I don't think I could hack longer than that at this job. That would mean giving notice by the end of October regardless, which isn't that far away now.

Advertisement