Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It depends what he has on other politicians. We all know that most of them have their hands in the honey pot but if Troy can drag some more down with him or threaten to then this story disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Most political classes are landlords anyhow. And because they're above us no way should we ruffle their feathers. We are meant to turn a blind eye and pretend we're not noticing their faults. Being economical with your observation is better than being awake and aware.

Please don't let the cat out of the bag, because they are the political classes and it's better to brush this under the carpet and say nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wasn't Martin exposed earlier in the year for doing (or not doing) the same thing? What became of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Of course. I forgot that we don't have a normal functioning political arena. Can't see him brazening it out for much longer though, I reckon there's still more to come.

Definitely worth watching this space.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing he spent a little time learning lessons, perhaps had misinterpretations over 10 years, spent a while reflecting and corrected matters , "Going Foward" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Helps him get wealthier. 14k tax free isn't to be sniffed at. But as someone has posted below its possible that his for rent a room is different to the house he claims mileage from, and if thats the case then Revenue will have to take a look into his rent a room relief claims.

I'm sure a reporter at the ditch has completed this Revenue report for Mr. Troy

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Some great lines in the Fine Gael New Politics document from 2011

Fine Gael, the party that created the State and declared it a Republic, will build a New Republic in Ireland - where trust is restored in our democratic institutions and the concerns of the Citizen, rather than the elites, are placed firmly at the centre of government.

The finger of responsibility must, in the first instance, point directly to the massive policy failures of the recent Fianna-Fail led Governments and their willingness to promote the interests of a so-called “Golden Circle” over the interests of the Citizen. Under Fianna Fail a political culture developed which ensured that the bankers and the developers were not dealt with before it was too late. A culture which tolerates cosy cartels and high costs in the private sector and ignores the need for radical reform in the public sector.

Fine Gael’s New Politics tackles all of these weaknesses head-on and will restore people’s trust in the political process by delivering real, tangible change. The Irish people are rightly outraged at the way in which their country has been misgoverned. However, there is a danger that this anger, if not addressed through positive reform, will lead to increasing numbers of our citizens disengaging from the democratic process.

When Irish Citizens elect a Government and pay their taxes, they expect the Government to use this money wisely and fairly, for the benefit of all. That is the essence of the social contract between the State and Citizen. 

Under Fianna Fail a political culture developed which ensured that the bankers and the developers were not dealt with before it was too late. A culture which tolerates cosy cartels and high costs in the private sector

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has described under fire Fianna Fáil TD Robert Troy as “top class” amid the controversy over the junior minister’s failure to declare properties he sold to local authorities.

2011 is another country really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Monkey see Monkey do.

Reform and accountability has always been a joke for the power swap. Why rock the gravy train??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

When you are sitting down like Charlie Flanagan and filling in the declaration...how the hell do you 'forget' you have an apartment in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭standardg60

I have no idea why anyone is shocked by this, we have a long tradition of voting for people based on what they can do for me. How is it any wonder that they themselves are only interested in the same thing?

Anyone who stands for the common good and advises tough policies on the individual has no chance. We are a nation of me feiners and have reached a stage where parties who promise everything to everyone are in the ascendancy, we will reap what we sow.

I was canvassed once by a local councillor while working whose request for my vote was solely backed up by the promise 'that he would put my name out there' for further work. I stopped voting years ago as there seems to be no alternative to these leeches who seem to reflect the general consensus.

"Embattled Government Minister Robert Troy admts one of his rental properties is not registered with the Residential Tenancies Board"

Article will appear tomorrow in the Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

It could be viewed as a mistake in two scenarios,

1: The person who sees it as a mistake is a supporter of his or his party.

2: It could be seen as a mistake if the person seeing it as a mistake is living in the land of the iffy.

It's most likely corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

What is his mistake count at now for this week alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That really should see him sacked or resign. No way can he cling on after that.

I'd say there is a queue of TD's from all sides down at the SIPO office to check and amend their declarations. How can you forget to register property? Did Troy lose count or something? We pay politicians too much if they are forgetting how many properties they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I knew heard a saying from some country cousins that "An honest politician is no good".

After this Troy debacle think its time for Revenue to audit all the TD's. Imagine egat that would uncover and how many politicians would be left?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,456 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If he resigns now then people start looking at other politicians for examples of the same things. If he hangs on as long as he can then the focus stays on him.

Right now he is drawing attention which allows others to quietly gloss over their own crimes. I'm sure he will be well looked after for providing this one last service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

That's him gone then. Can't see that being able to fly it's Illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

it's selective they never forget how to fill out expense forms. Especially if you say you live in a house further away 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Robert will be expecting the Gardai now.

He is trying to blame the letting agent for the property not being registered

From the RTB website 

A landlord must: Register their tenancy within one month of the start of the tenancy. You can register online."

It's the landlord that registers the property not the agent.

A full review of every letting agent should also be undertook if they are supplying unregistered properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Looks like he is rotten. Typical FF profile.

He has to go. This is not acceptable anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When the story originally broke, it would have been plausible for it to have been a mistake or due to sloppiness. Subsequently, we know that failing to mention a couple of properties on the declaration was only the tip of the iceberg so yeah, most likely it was deliberate.

I was a public servant for years and myself and my colleagues had to complete those declarations every year. Plenty of people had an apathetic or sloppy attitude to filling the form. They wouldn't bother reading the form and would fill it in incorrectly (e.g. wrong dates) or have to be asked multiple times to complete it at all. Attitude was along the lines of "Jaysus, this fcukin sh*te again, why do they want to know what I own, that's not part of my job description, I'm too busy for this"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

I was brought up to never lie, as lies would always be found out. I was (and still am, tbh) fearful of getting into trouble, even knowing that I hadn't intentionally said or done something wrong.

Decades later, I regularly question my life choices. I wish I had the sheer arrogance that gets people through jobs they're sh!t at, and off the hook when it comes to stuff like this. It's the people who are genuinely terrified of making the smallest mistakes that get hung out to dry.

Next time visit Leinster House I'm gonna take a cup of coffee and walk off without paying and see what happens. Hell, I have so many cups of coffee a year how am I supposed to keep track of which ones I was meant to pay for??

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

What an absolute charlatan. Troy is the type of typical cute hoor FFer that crashed our economy and had to get the IMF in.

FG aided their reputational rehabilitation, and look where we are now, a government with people in it like Robert Troy, a man who has scant regard for rules and legislation he and his government oversee, and then you have Leo Varadkar, (a man who leaked confidential government documents to his friend) expressing his admiration and confidence in him.

People watching their children struggle to pay rent, or dream about ever being able to afford a home, or those looking at our unmitigated disaster of a health system should keep things like this in their minds when the next election rolls around.

It's hard to fathom that theres actually people on the internet defending these things?

• Advertisement

Absolutely Breathtaking, it's not been assertained what property was used as the location (could take a while) for this promotional claptrap 😁

But my word #TroyStory

Advertisement