Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing kids (5-8year olds) cycling in the dark

Options
  • 17-08-2022 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

i bring my 5year old and 8 year old cycling in the evening while its bright. Sadly its getting darker earlier as winter comes closer.

Am i mad to continue to bring them cycling in the evenings now its dark. it would be on paths and cyclelanes around dublin. not necessary, just a leisure cycle.

suppose i have to consider benefits of fresh air (well with gas prices might be lot of chimneys burning coal) and exercise against increased risk of cars etc.

thoughts? do you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I don't see why not if as you say it's on safe paths and cycleways and gammon behind a wheel isn't a big factor to contend with. It'll get them used to the idea that you can just wrap up and get out on the bike at any time of the year. Get them each a set of lights - look at the Aldi/Lidl sets that are available frequently (think there are some in Lidl at the minute). If they're anything like my crew they'll be thrilled with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just light up and you are going to go.

ideally somewhere like the CMR between blackrock and Sandycove. Or the contact cycle path woukd be best because they are segregated and lit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Not mad at all, go for it, your kids will thank you for it in years to come and you can teach them good night-time habits before they go out on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Can Saturday or Sunday mornings work? Bike and ice cream sounds more fun, for adults and kids.

Wait for secondary school age for the twilight/dark stuff.

Advertisement