Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good rattling/clattering (maybe cables) troubleshooting places?

Options
  • 17-08-2022 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

My (road) bike is not in bad shape generally, but sounds like an old jalopy on all but the smoothest roads (so…a lot of the time!), though I can’t reproduce the noise at all by just bouncing the bike onto its wheels on the ground from my hands.

I’d imagine much of the noise is from where cables are routed internally (I’ve checked external points of contact with the frame and between cables).

(Probably not relevant, but I got a new back wheel+hub and rear gear cable a year ago, and while the clattering might not have got worse, it didn’t improve either.)

I cannae take no mare, Capt’n! 😝 Can anyone recommend a shop/mechanic who would be good for ferriting out this issue, preferably in the SE of Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It may be possible to pinpoint it if you gave a bit more info. Is it a rattle or creak? Does it change if you stop pedaling. Does it change if you are seated/out of the saddle? Have you tried shaking/rotating the frame - foreign object trapped in the frame?

EDIT: Just realised your thread title said a rattle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you taken everything else off the bike first? saddlebag, mini-pump, that sort of thing? checked the bottle cages are on tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Remove the seat post, turn the frame upside down and tap the opening where the seat post goes against a piece of wood. This might release some trapped debris.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a rivnut that I knocked into frame rattle around for ages. Took me months to finally and carefully shake it out. IT kept getting stuck somewhere new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Thanks folks. Independent of pedalling (happens coasting also) and occurs in the absense of any attached items; no bottle cages. I’ll give the bike an in-the-air shake-up tomorrow, and if I hear anything may take out the seatpost (though would rather avoid as I don’t have torque wrench for reattaching to carbon frame). I’ll verify that the rattle is independent also of sitting in the saddle while moving on next spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Update – help from Cycle Hub in Dun Laoghaire

Popped in to The Cycle Hub in Dun Laoghaire at lunchtime today (for first time) to see if they thought they could improve things. Both guys on duty took it for a spin, then one did some (drivetrain, I think) tightening while I waited, then embarrassed me by refusing to accept any payment 😳

Seems much quieter now 😀 (and better-feeling drivetrain) on my initial small ride. Couldn’t think of anything I needed for a quick purchase at that time, but I’ll be calling in when I next need something /maybe try on some clothes

Advertisement