Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Lime and Slurry

• 18-08-2022 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to spread slurry after gran lime on grazing ground? Not immediately, but after a rotation… I see Teagasc say 3 months but that’s probably ground lime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't think it makes a difference whether its granular lime or ground lime - it's all lime. Best practice is to spread the slurry first and give it a couple of weeks before spreading lime.

As you have said you have to wait about 3 months to spread slurry after spreading lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While they are both lime they are different products. Ground lime will effect slurry and urea for up to12 months. Urea can be spread immediately before or after granlime. I think about 3-4 weeks for slurry after grand lime.

However it's very wasteful spreading granlime this time of year. It's a short acting soluble line. The best results are when spread in early spring ( March/ April)

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

So there’s no issue going with gran lime and fertilizer in the Spring? They don’t counteract each other?

I spread granlime before on silage ground before making bales and had a bad cut of silage after it. Something funny with the silage the cows weren’t mad about it. Always thought it was the granlime that caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RockOrBog

I wouldn't be spreading gran lime in spring and cutting silage after, I've heard of it causing problems. I notice the granules take 2 or 3 months to break down into the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have spread granlime on silage ground a few times. Never have an issue with silage. I always made sure that the ground was bare when it was spread.

I think I even spread it in June on bare ground between first and second cut.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement