Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate for grinds

• 18-08-2022 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I am a teacher and have my eldest is son going into Leaving Cert next year. I am thinking of getting him grinds in one particular core subject. Just wondering what is the rate roughly people are charging to have grinds now.

I presume like with other business that people might have an offer if you pay up for so many grinds or have friends of student join the grind that you can get a reduction in payment. I have heard also many people are having grinds remotely also on zoom.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know for Irish grinds in the south of the country people are charging €40 if from a teacher, €25 from college students. That’s just from what I’ve heard and seen on ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

LC here and paid €40 and €50 for Maths and Languages in Dublin.

Bizarre reply.

I don't think that would be any of your business were I giving grinds, but this is what I paid.😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Why would she declare it to revenue? Do you everytime you spend cash??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I wonder if it were any other profession would you have asked that question. If I were a Teacher, I wouldn't be offering grinds. Waaaay too much hassle. On top of the grind for which you get €40, you have to:

# Prepare your work in advance

# Pay your way to get to the client

# Pay for materials

# Issue receipts

# Declare the income to revenue

# Pay revenue their share

.....And all for a measly €15-€20 after all is said and done. No thanks.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

For some subjects it probably works out OK. Maths, for instance, works very well in a small 'classroom' setup where you might be teaching a few kids at a time. English is a disaster because the chances of everyone having covered the same poetry and texts is miniscule. Giving grinds as an English teacher often means preparing all new stuff, even if you have your own class doing the same exam. If you're giving grinds to a number of kids there might be very little overlap so the workload is huge. You'd want to be paying me a fortune before I'd even consider it.

For must subjects, it is generally only worth the hassle if you're not on full hours and you're desperate for money.

You are making a lot of presumptions about my gender and my tax declarations. A teacher choosing to give grinds doesn't equate to tax evasion.

Jeez, you have some chip on your shoulder. Why don't you go off to the likes of building thread, or a tipping thread and start making assumptions about them. 🙄

Advertisement