Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tennant dissapeared and utility bills not paid

Options
  • 18-08-2022 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I have been renting a property for some time and never had this problem before. The last tenant has literally disappeared (left the house keys under the door mat and told me he was moving out!) I have found a new tenant and they are trying to get sky broadband into the house and the previous provider was virgin. Sky wont do anything until the old line is closed. What can i do as the landlord? I would be surprised if there is not money owed on the gas and electricity also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The liability for these bills lie with the former tenant. I suspect a letter from the property owner to the utility will sort things for the new tenant. Be proactive in dealing with the other utilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was there a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Who's name is on the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Tenants.

• Advertisement

The deposit covers the months rent he hasnt paid. Doesnt cover removal of all the **** he left behind or anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Contact the utility companies and tell them that the tenant has moved out unexpectedly. As a poster says above, this is a contract between the tenant and the utility provider.

It's possible the tenant left you a forwarding address to provide to utilities so they can direct their bill accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Then nobody other than the named tenant needs to pay the bills. You can contact virgin as the home owner and tell them the tenant has left and you need the account closed as it is effecting your new tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

I would be surprised if there is not money owed on the gas and electricity also

Maybe you're making an unfounded assumption but ok... Surely the new tenant's already been in touch with the gas and electric companies to give a meter reading and get the supply transferred into their name? Or are they continuing to use the old tenant's supply until it's cut off?

tenant doesn't pay rent, fecks off telling me by text, leaves four wheelie bins full of **** in the back garden (one of which smells very much like human **** (another assumption!!!), two skips of other **** throughout the house and didnt cut the grass for the year to date and I am making unfounded assumptions? no wonder small land lords are leaving the market in droves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sky don't use Virgins infrastructure so an outstanding Virgin bill has absolutely no impact. They use Eir, NBI or SIRO as appropriate for the property.

Exact same thing happened to me in 2018.....but you SHOULD COUNT YOURSEL LUCKY. The deposit covered the 'missing' rent..... ok a few wheelie bins of rubbish to be disposed of ...... no big deal. Funny thing is credit card bills kept coming for the "ghosted" tenant....... I'm talking thousands.....nothing to do with me. Believe me, your dilemma is miniscule compared to having a 'rogue' tenant that just doesn't/ won't engage or bother paying rent. These things are all "part& parcel" of being a landlord in Ireland. Just to say..... the vast majority of tenants are ne're a problem ...... in fact, after two decades in 'the game' I generally enjoy meeting majority of ex-tenants & would grab a coffee with them any day of the week but it sure ain't all 'plain sailing'

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Hmm something about your story doesn't add up. What does your assumptions about bills have to do with the rubbish you claim is in the back yard (but didn't think to mention previously)? As the moderator has pointed out, Sky and Virgin use different infrastructure so an unpaid bill for one wouldn't affect the other.

The story seems to be growing legs by the day

yes, daddy long legs..........

Advertisement