Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposing abroad - real ring or dress ring, and how much?

• 18-08-2022 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

I realise I posted this on the wedding thread and gentleman’s thread, but I just found the ladies lounge and probably no better place to ask, hope you don’t mind!!

I am heading abroad next month with my girlfriend when we’ll be 4 years together.

I went into our local jeweller today by myself (up north) and they were very helpful.

I had a picture of 2 rings she tried on at Xmas in a jewellers abroad, we went in messing around then but she genuinely liked the style of those two.

the jeweller matched something similar - I have a picture of 6 rings in the local shop now.

they range in price from £1500 pounds sterling to £5K sterling.

ladies - honestly what do people generally spend? Neither of us are 30 yet, but we have our own home. So I can’t afford the ring in the £3,000+ range. I earn well enough but I generally don’t do big purchases or live an extravagant life. However I realise this is for life.

I don’t intend to actually get married anytime soon or plan it, she is in agreement with this.

im a bit lost - I need to find out her ring size, whether she definitely wants gold banding or silver / platinum.

I am going to try find a ring of hers and bring it down to the jewellers.

do people generally buy it outright or on credit?

I’ve also heard of people bringing “dress rings” or placeholder rings when the proposal is abroad.

im not sure what to do. I suppose the real question I’m most concerned about is what’s the general budget? I don’t want to spend too little but also not too much, after all I’ll expect she’ll be sending her friends and family pictures of it when we’re abroad, as I’m doing it at the start of the holiday!

I have no idea about the whole carat thing, the jeweller explained some of it to me and the gradings etc. they were Hatton garden rings from London.

thank you in advance, all help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mine was made for me and actually cost half of its retail value. Friend of the family was a commercial jeweller and we designed it together.

Some women like being presented with a ring, some prefer to choose their own, only you will know the answer to that. There used to be a thought that the ring should cost two months salary but that's bs imo. Personally I think 2k is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

That’s great info thank you. Designing it was a memorable experience I’d say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I was abroad in my GF's country.

Her mother told me that a local (friend of the family) jeweller was closing down and essentially having a sale. I said ok we'll get engaged.

We went around to see the jeweller - mad house on the side of a cliff - very James Bond villain style. Told him the budget. He pulls out 3 rings - essentially small, medium and large. Picked medium and paid him a year later when I was back in Asia.

Very romantic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

One word of advice OP, do not buy the wedding ring etc. on credit, you do not want to be getting into debt for such a purchase. Wait until you can afford what you want to go for.

Advertisement