Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards posting rules and warning levels

Options
  • 18-08-2022 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Can anyone explain the posting rules and warning levels to me please? I am confused. I presumed bad language is a no no? What about calling someone a troll? Also the warning levels and "jail". Any information would be appreciated 👍

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Calling someone a troll is backseat modding

You are not in a position to decide if someone is trolling. That's for a moderator to consider. And a moderator may have a different view

Either way, you should stick to discussing the topic, and not other users. Report any post or poster you think may be trolling and then leave it to the mods to determine

On rules, please read the Site Terms of Use which sets out certain things that are not acceptable. Then read the forum Charter which will usually set out forum-specific rules. Then look at the thread in question. Are there any rules set out in the OP. Has a mod issued a warning in the thread. Basically follow the rules that are set out and can vary significantly from forum to forum. Some forums have very rigid and detailed rules. Others have much more generic rules. Soccer has a lot of detailed rules. Current Affairs has an overriding principle - "don't be a dick". That leave some discretion to moderators to consider intent when looking at posts. Of course if anyone is abusive they can expect sanction. If they are uncivil towards other users they can expect sanction.

Some forums have specific rules prohibiting swearing. Most do not. Yes there us an inbuilt swear filter that posters can fairly easily circumvent. If you swear at another user that is likely t be consider abusive and/or uncivil

Moderators can issue a threadban. That requires a user to show self restraint and not post in the relevant thread

They can issue warnings with 0, 1 or 2 warning points. A point lasts a week. " points last 2 weeks, if you have 2 active points and pick up another that adds another week to the warnings remaining active. 5 "active" points triggers a siteban, the duration of which depends on when the points were issued. 5 points should not last more than 5 weeks

Moderators can also issue forum bans, ranging from 24 hours to permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

OK thanks for that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where is the current affairs charter?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Advertisement