Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Critical Illness Provisions (CIP)

• 19-08-2022 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I'm a teacher and will qualify for Critical Illness Provisions (CIP) - extended full pay for 6 months not 3. After this period off work which won't be as long as 6 months I understand I'll have to go for a health check with medmark to allow me return to the classroom. Is this correct? Because it will involve me going in patient for an eating disorder is there a chance they won't deem me medically fit? Does anyone else have any experience with mental health related inpatient and returning to work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭2 fast

You'll have to go to medmark, yes. If you're fit and well and your won consultant has deemed you fit to return you should be okay, be suprised they'd over rule your own consultant

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ooh1985

That's true. They're screaming out for teachers they'd never leave a perfectly healthy (once out of hospital) one sitting on the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

No experience, op, but I'd be very surprised if they could punish an employee for facing up to a mental health issue by getting in-patient treatment. I expect, particularly as your consultant has given you the all-clear, that it would be in breach of some sort of discrimination legislation. Being unwell for a period is part of life at some stage for most people during their 40/50-year career.

Aside from that, as you note they're dying for teachers. People are coming and going in every staffroom in the country for mental health reasons - depression, anxiety, loss of a loved one, marital breakdown, etc - and the vast majority of teachers don't ask questions out of respect for privacy. Indeed, for all you know at least one other staff member is going through a serious mental health issue at the same time.

Best of luck.

Advertisement