Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame stack and reach

Options
  • 19-08-2022 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I’m looking at changing a frame to something new. I’ve seen something available but the differences to current frame are:

• Reach - 3mm shorter
    • Stack - 38mm lower

The existing bike is ‘all day comfortable’ if that makes sense. I do feel though that the current frame head tube is a bit too high. I’ve no spacers under the stem and am often in the drops as I find it comfortable.

At the same time I sometimes feel a bit too constricted in current set-up - ie it would be nicer to be a bit more stretched out. Current stem is 100m, 0 degree (I think).

So my question - is a drop in stack of that size likely to cause issues? Should the bike fit otherwise? Is it enough to just look at these or are other measurements critical?

Its a second hand frame and steerer is cut so no spacers possible I think to increase effective stack. Also, not built up so no possibility to test it out. It’s a 54 whereas existing is a 56 if that means anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Near 4cm drop in stack is a big enough difference, I wonder would a negative degree longer stem (like a 120mm -8 deg) be worth a shot on the existing bike to sort some of the issues on your existing frame?

Advertisement