Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Stage 1 (TTT) - Utrecht to Utrecht (23.3km)

Options
  • 19-08-2022 5:10pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The final Grand Tour of the season begins with a team time trial. Not surprisingly Jumbo Visma (11/10) are the favourites closely followed by Quickstep (7/5) and Ineos (9/2). Bike Exchange are 7/1 and after that it's 40/1 and above. So a 3 horse/team race by all accounts. I'm looking forward to seeing a team time trial as we don't get them that often anymore particularly in Grand Tours. Sadly I have to go out this evening so I'll be catching up later but I fancy Ineos in this one.

Inner Ring don't appear to have a preview for the stage specifically but since it's the start of the Grand Tour have a read of the overall preview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think BEX are dark horses here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Arkea either couldn't or didn't get anyone in to replace Quintana.

Burgos only started with 7 after their sprinter tested positive for covid today, sickened

The yellow Arkea kit is fugly. Quite like the new Astana one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Those quick step helmets must have been designed by a darth vader fanatic who was pissed

I think the Poc ones look even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I enjoyed that TTT. The starting order worked out well from a viewer's perspective, in that the fastest teams were the last to start.

Jumbo looked absolutely fantastic. Ineos looked a bit ragged at points, but were obviously very fast. The Quick-Step guys are probably wrecked after trying to hang on to Remco.

Good performance from Ryan Mullen. Hopefully Sam dropped off when it was planned.

Really awful result from Chris Froome. He was the slowest of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta say I'm not a fan of TT's of that length. It's a huge disadvantage to genuine HC contenders whose team aren't good at them. Like the tour is about the best individual cyclist.

If it was just for team points that'd be fine but having it count towards the general ranking is very unfair. Like Jai Hindley is 41 seconds down to Roglic after that, it's totally unfair imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I enjoyed that and think it's great to see how a team can gel together. It was interesting listening to Dan at the end commenting on how some teams had there guy go almost across the road to filter back whereas others kept then close. Some teams need a bit more work.

The time gaps are great as teams now have to try something from the get go to gain back time. And a nice fight for red today from Quickstep I imagine?

Advertisement