Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA College football season 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We can’t watch the game, but the Crimson Tide it appears leading at the break to give the CFP committee a headache if they go on to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They're going well, defense in top since early, but as I say it's early days, Georgia have been behind lots this season asndare still unbeaten

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unbelievable that. The Tide are back. Some wondering if they'll make the playoffs, there's no doubt in my mind. That win puts them ahead of every other one loss team. It doesn't matter that Texas beat them earlier in the year because Texas haven't faced anybody of the standard of Georgia.

Bama hold out, quite comfortably if a 3 point win can ever be called comfortably.

First defeat in over 2 years for Georgia, and Saban does it again in the SEC game.

What happens now though? Is there a way that the SEC winners don't proceed to the playoffs, after 11 straight wins ? Can Georgia be dropped out for 1 big defeat in 3 seasons? Texas of course beat Bama earlier, something will have to give!

An interesting committee meeting ahead!

Florida State are in with a win but this Cardinals team are really good. It won't be easy for the Seminoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭FantasyFool

So who are yer picks for the Playoffs? Washington and Michigan obviously. Florida State will get in with a massive question mark over their QB situation. I think Texas will get in- I know its over 2 months ago but theres no point playing the games if they count for nothing and they went to Tuscaloosa and won by double digits!

There is a huge amount of weight being put in that won I think, should one game in week 2 knock Alabama out? I don't think so, if anything they might have a stronger claim than most of the other teams to be in. They've beaten Georgia on a must win late season championship game, the ACC is a weaker conference than the SEC, and Florida were unconvincing in that game yesterday. Michigan did their work in The Game last week, but they have had a weak enough schedule overall. If you're looking for the strongest four teams in the playoffs, you could argue both the SEC teams should survive, but it's more complicated than that. They will probably want/need a team from Texas involved, and from Florida too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

How Alabama could be left out is beyond me, after beating the number 1 team, in what was essentially a playoff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Depends what the committee want to achieve.

If they want to reward the teams based on their regular season, they'll put in Florida State.

If they want the 4 best teams in the country as it stands, they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's been set. FSU lose out. Tough for them to swallow but I think 2 better games for the neutrals.

Michigan vs Alabama

Texas vs Washington

• Advertisement

Big calls. Georgia not quite at the levels of the last few years, lost the wrong game really, a loss earlier in the year and they'd be OK.

Maybe Longhorns deserve their place, but i think there is too much weight put on their won over Alabama in week 2 TBH. A few weeks to consolidate there for the teams now, roll on the new year

It's not that there's too much weight being put on their win over Alabama, it's that there isn't enough being taken away for their loss to Oklahoma.

How Texas ended up no.3 is beyond me. I had them behind Georgia and Ohio State.

Personally I think the Buckeyes should have been no.4 with Alabama at 3.

The Buckeyes only loss was by six points to the no.1 in the country, at Michigan.

Just seen that the Rose Bowl is part of the playoffs. That should never happen, it's a very special bowl game and shouldn't be just a semi-final.

I've said it before but if I was involved in college football and asked which I'd prefer to be involved in, a national championship or Rose Bowl I'd pick the latter.

Really, the FSU situation probably would have been the straw that broke the camel’s back if they weren’t changing the format anyway. At least next year the Power Four (or what ever the new post PAC-12 term will be) conference teams have a clear route into the CFP based purely on results on the field. The six best conference champions will be automatically in, which in any given year (all credit to Cincinnati in the weird 2020 season) will almost certainly include the Power Four champions.

It's unreal jhiw badly managed the Pac 12 has been.

The Big Ten has really benefitted from it. Adding USC, Washington, Oregon and UCLA makes it as big as the SEC in my opinion.

You've now got those four along with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.

That matches up great against the powerhouses Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and now Texas.

Nobody can call the SEC the strongest anymore.

I don't think the addition of Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah is enough to maintain the power of the Big 12 with Texas gone and Oklahoma leaving next year. They need big performances on the field from other schools to help them maintain their footing.

Florida's problem is that they are in the ACC. They know it too, and that's a big as to why they are moving from it. It's very much a poor relation to some of the other conferences, and with Clemson going badly there was no competition in it.

Florida State would have made the playoffs if Jordan Travis didn't get injured. The selection committee made the right decision in my opinion. They were no hopers without Travis.

Famous Toastery Bowl way more fun than a bowl game with a silly name played at 2:30pm on a Monday afternoon on front of the US equivalent of two men and a dog and featuring two mid table G5 teams had any right to be - Western Kentucky won 38-35 in OT after being down 28-0 at the end of Q1.

Also will be known for an officiating call of sideline interference on the “offensive co-ordinator for the defence”(!) towards the end of regulation (the coach concerned knocked over the unfortunate side judge). New one on me!

East Michigan v South Alabama ending in a big brawl last night, pretty hilarious stuff all told

Only read this now. Beautiful description of the scene. 😁

It was a very entertaining game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Rutgers v Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl is on Sky Sports Mix now.

If you have any Sky subscription you get Sky Sports Mix for free.

It's the same place you can get RedZone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They have coverage of lots of games on Mix but seems like no coverage of Notre Dame's bowl game Friday night - though they did show some of their regular games on Mix.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hate watching these games in Baseball stadia, both games today in ballparks and it doesn't help the atmosphere or viewing experience. Also, it's cold and wet in NYC and the installed turf field looks wet and slippy and it's not helping.

The Notre Dame v Oregon State game (Sun Bowl) is on CBS in the US.

Sky here only has rights to ESPN/ABC broadcasts.

Notre Dames regular season games are on NBC and Sky have sperate rights to that.

Any of these early bowl games are rubbish anyway.

They get terrible crowds, are in poor locations at poor times and involve poor teams.

The traditional bowl games (Rose, Cotton, Sugar etc) are the only ones really worth watching.

Cotton. Bowl on later. Gator Bowl was worth a watch earlier, late drama in a high scoring game with a narrow win for Clemson.

In any case, Notre Dame apparently walked it against Oregon St, doesn’t seem like it was worth a watch.

You are right though, the bowls get better and better the closer it gets to New Years, when Top 25 teams start to play each other, unfortunately a lot of those games are not in friendly times for us (even the Rose Bowl is in a slightly too late for most of us 10pm KO on NYD).

Next year will be a different ball game though with the 12 team FBS playoff.

ND walked it, with Hartmann and Esteme, two of the stars in the Dublin game, opting out amongst a few others.

Pretty pointless from a sporting point of view, might be a bit of craic for supporters and sponsors, but largely a pointless exercise for casual followers like most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ohio State putting up a terrible three points in the cotton bowl tells you all you need to know about what the bowl games mean now. It doesn't matter what bowl it is, of it's not a means to getting to the championship game, it simply doesn't matter. Time to get on with it, the tradition is dead. The 12 team playoff is going to be great tbh, serious excitement instead of a serious of bowl games nobody really cares about the result of, including most of the players themselves apparently.

• Advertisement

The Orange Bowl tonight ought to be a decent game, Georgia v Florida St with both sides having something to prove. However, and maybe to prove your point, opt outs will fvxk that up, think it's 11 expected starters on the Florida side alone not available this evening.

Advertisement