Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

Options
  • 20-08-2022 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

We have a serious housing problem that is over 10 years old and FG and their current BFF's FF have not being able to put a dent in it and fix it. Can Sinn Fein fix it? Or is it too foooked to be dealt with?

I hope Sinn Fein can do something but I fear maybe all that can be done is damage limitation. Am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I would not hold my breath on that one. It seems baked into the system not to want to be fixed. Simple stuff like building up is never discussed or legislated for. I'm not talking flats like ballymun. Proper livable places like they have in the USA. Rich tend to move to them in the city freeing up areas for people to buy and live cheaper outside the centre. ABP probably has not helped due to the stuffing of vested interests. Then we have ministers and a good few others abusing the system for their own gain. I would never vote SF. But I would suggest if they brought in rules in relation to tax breaks for developers 40-60% builds. 40 being social housing or run by places like Cluid. Before you get any Tax break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's complex to "fix" and not something that can be done in just a few years. But you can absolutely count on populists like Sinn Fein to produce some lengthy manifesto that will promise to fix everything in the country, do everything under the sun and turn Ireland into an affordable housing paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Augme

They'll do a far better job than Fine Gael, that's for sure. They have solely been interesting in ensuring housing is used a means for profiteering for a very small percentage of people in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

How exactly will they do this? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Simple answer is no.

The issues can only be resolved with increased building along with a massive shift in expectation and elimination of a sense of entitlement.

People in general need to realise that they can not expect to live where they want to live, or to be automatically be entitled to live where they grew up, or where their family is from or happens to live. Not everybody can have a front and back garden, or even one or the other. Not everyone can live in a detached house, nor semi detached or even terraced.

Every other country in the world seems to manage just fine with people living in a mix of apartments and various other houses as they can afford, along with people living where they can afford to at what ever stage they are, even if its not where they would like.

We need more apartments & a willingness for people to accept maybe not living exactly where they would like, or in the house they would like, or going on the holidays they would like to go on.

I know people who expect to be able to go on multiple holidays every year, wear designer clothes, have cosmetic surgery, yet complain they can not afford to buy a house on one income?

They look at us and say that we are grand because we bought before 07/08.

We did yes, but we have been abroad three times in 17 years (two of those before the crash) we didn't have a tv for the first few until we were given a secondhand one.

My point is that I do not think people are willing to make the sacrifices that it takes to afford to buy or pay for a home these days.

Build more apartments and get people to adjust their expectations a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SF have lots to say but do very little

It shouldn't be allowed for large companies to be able to buy a rake of properties for future profit

Every prospective development must either be privately sold or allocated to social housing - it's ridiculous that some company can come along and buy up all the properties and then demand whatever rent they like

Ireland is fast becoming like America with the property market - houses should be built for people not for speculative profit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Lengthy manifestos?

isnt that what FFG have been doing for over a decade now in relation to housing AND health?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There is a problem if we return to large scale government build accommodation and its something not much talked about.

The policy around social housing being integrated with new housing development has reduced the size, scale and level of poorer areas in many places.

If the gov builds loads of social housing together its essentially building another ghetto for the want of another word.

What the current policy has done is essentially spread out the poor people in middle income areas and in the long term its better for society, that said it has down sides.

So i would be weary of a party policy advocating large scale social housing as a solution to the housing crisis because it can create another issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There have been housing crisis in Ireland since the 60s and even beyond that and I can say with absolute certainty that SF nor any other party for that matter can fix the problem. It’s not that there is a lack of possible solutions to the problem, it’s that Irish voters are unwilling to accept such solutions.

So long as the Irish voter demands that the solution to the problem must be that everyone gets to own a house in their preferred location it can’t be solved. This approach even ignores the basic problem that land is finite!

Here in Switzerland we don’t have a national housing crisis because aspiring to owning a house is not a thing! Having good affordable accommodation is. The rule of thumb is that you should not spend more than 20% of your income on your accommodation and the demands are for a strong legal framework for landlords and tenants plus a large stock of available rental accommodation. There are localized housing issues in some cities, but not at the national level.

To ensure a large stock of housing, Swiss pension funds are required to pay pensions rather than convert them to annuities and to do so they need the reliability of rental income. So the potential house buyer is up against a well financed pension fund when it comes to the bidding. The result is that about 60% in the cities are unlikely to own their own home, or aspire to doing so. It is just not a realistic possibility. Other European countries have solutions also based on a strong rental market.

Do you think the voters in Dublin, Cork, Limerick or Galway would accept a solution that would result in a situation where many would be unlikely to ever own a house? I think the pain is going to have to get a lot worse before people are ready to look at realistic solutions and even then as in the rest of Europe, it won’t be a complete solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's a perplexing mess whatever about the politics. SF often accused of saying much & doing nothing but some seem to forget they have not been the decision makers that have caused this shambles, over a decade in the making albeit I think it goes back much further.

We of course had the celtic tiger, the brutal crash and in reality a very slow recovery. It would seem to me the wrong types of developments have been proactively encouraged by FFG & no one can honestly deny a Rental model was being pushed.

We constantly hear about commencements & completions & yet an astonishing lack of availability to either purchase or Rent. Constant political nonsense about who's objecting etc.

At a very basic level (I'm no expert), we know there's not enough actual Housing, We know there is not enough accommodation, We know there's fewer than 800 Homes in the entire country available to rent & at current levels of commencents it would seem it will take 20 years to catch up with just a basic need for accommodation wether it be rental or for purchase.

There's now a quadruple whammy, Increased costs, Supply Chain issues, Staff shortages, Interest rate rises & serious uncertainty. I personally know of a number of projects we're contractors have stopped completely, stuck in fix priced contracts, knowing if they continue they'll be bankrupted , less painful to walk away now or stop than loose money. I see half finished one off developments dotted around the Midlands and no amount of FFG spin persuades me their plan, subsidises to large developers, tax incentives are or will work & besides it seems to me, all that's being built is investment developments for rental which ultimately no one but cuckoo funds will own, whilst Government will essentially rent or subsidise indefinitely through HAP or local authorities leasing for years on end, it's absolutely bonkers.

Home ownership will in essence be a dream for very, very few. The Irony of course being that before FF & FG merged they blamed each other, now they are FFG, they play nice but constantly throw subtle digs about years of lack of supply & poor policy, both are responsible for.

Here's another thought, few are thinking about, the Mica situation, I don't know the actual number likely needing full re build but let's be Conservative at 5K, who exactly is going to rebuild these properties, this on top of the defects in apartments, at the current rate it could a decade for some properties to be rebuilt & I'd wager the final bill will be far more than estimated, this problem on top of an already chronic housing crisis, I'm also intrigued as to were these people will live during re build or repair.

So, In reality whomever takes over this absolute mess has to unravel decades of ineptitude and bad policy. It won't be a quick fix by any means and regardless of folks political beliefs some serious root & branch overhaul in approach and some unpalatable decisions will be needed, we can no longer deny there's a serious and growing problem beginning with a basic accomodation need, let alone developments for purchase by aspiring home ownership. SF can do no worse than FFG but it not going to be easy or quick.

I'll leave this with a quick story shared on Twitter yesterday that got enormous reaction a painfully true story on the Day the remarkable Brother Kevin retires from the Capuchin Centre.

It's the story of a well known person meeting a 79 year old lady on a street in Dublin, a lovely lady well known in the area, always joyful, happy. Asked how she was, the lady said I'm fine, but I am just a little worried about it raining as she had to be out of her homeless, hostel accommodation during the day.

This is Ireland Folks in 2022 😞

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

With big fanfare Sinn Fein won a majority in DCC in 2014. They had articles on website etc as they had been elected into DCC to build houses and they would build houses. They had a significant majority over all the other parties. So what happened? well f**k all. The housing numbers in DCC didn't improve and the rental debt went through the roof with only 1 tenant getting evicted during the period. Absolute shambles. What Sinn fein are good at is deleting the embarrassing web links and then trying to convince everyone that it never happened.

Of course we get told you cannot consider that for XYZ, same as we are not supposed to take anything in the North into consideration. It would seem every time Sinn Fein make a mess the supporters tell everyone that it's not fair to say that's a shambles.

It is clear Sinn fein, even after the government asked in this crisis, have no intention to help the people of Ireland. They are actively trying to make the housing crisis worse on a daily basis. The worse the crisis gets, the better it is for Sinn Fein so until the next election they will block/slow down etc everything they can to put more and more people out on the street.

The people on this thread are aware of that and actually support Sinn Fein for doing that, supporting a party to make people homeless????? baffling

So how anyone can then post constantly about Sinn Fein fixing the problem? what exactly in the last 20 years would suggest Sinn Fein have the slightest idea how to fix the crisis? they know how to make it worse and are experts at that, but fix it???

Eoin O'Broin is a great mad when in the Dail shouting comments over at the government, doesn't have too many answers when the light is shined onto him.

Home ownership is at 70%

How is that a "very small percentage of people in society"?

The majority of new houses built are been bought by people to live in, not by rental companies etc that some people would have you believe.

Yes we have a housing crisis and we need more houses but trying to say home ownership is a very small percentage in Ireland is totally incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

How would they fix it?

The only thing that can sort the housing crisis is county councils start building again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭threeball

They will in their hoop. They'll end up spending a fortune propping up the end of society who only absorb money and contribute nothing thereby cementing and expanding their base whilst the rest of us mugs pay for it. SF have promised everything bar delivering nuclear fusion and half the country as usual is lapping it up. FG and FF haven't been great by any stretch but god help us when this shower of spoofers get into power.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is a complex problem that is best solved by making unpopular decisions, therefore a populist party like Sinn Fein has less chance of solving it than anyone else.

The Sinn Fein promise many things including:

• Fixing the housing crisis
    • Increase walefare payments and state pension
    • Reduce retirement age
    • Abolish property tax
    • Reduce the cost of childcare while increasing the wages of childcare workers
    • Sort out the HSE
    • Crack down on crime
    • No college fees
    • Reduce income tax on all who earn under €100,000 by up to €700 a year (I love this one)
    • Achieve the above without browwing, in fact they will have a budget surplus

For what I can see the Sinn Fein plan is that all of the above and so much mroe will be paid by:

• Increasing corperation tax. Not a smart move IMHO as this is what keep tech companies, pharma companies etc. in Ireland keeping Ireland afloat with so many high paying jobs as well as a lot of indirect employment
    • Tax the rich would will simply stick around and pay for everyhting
    • Magic

So no, I don't think Sinn Fein can solve the property crisis, but I think they will have a chance to try pretty soon.

Sinn Fein have gone around telling all big companies/rich that if they support them into government they won't hit them.

So the "tax the rich" is bullsh*t". What they want to do is tax anyone at 140k, wait no sorry it was 100k wasn't it? and tax them out of existence. When that doesn't pay for it then expect them to drop that to 80k, then 60k, then 40k, so we will just end up with a higher tax rate for everyone in Ireland.

"Abolish the property tax" is just another example of Sinn Fein providing a tax break to the rich. LPT is the one tax that no matter what you do, funnel money out of Ireland etc, you have to pay and it benefits everyone in the community. By removing it you are giving the people in their multi million euro houses a huge tax break. Yet their supporters seem to be oblivious to this, really baffling

Corporate tax has been increased. Plus any of the loop holes around many years had already been closed before the enforced increase. If SF and supporters think they should change our corporate tax rate.....well I am sure I would get a warning if I finish that

Sinn Fein are at this stage just a joke party, they can't even get a coherent message inside the party between the Republic and Northern Ireland. They just tell everyone what they want to hear even when it totally conflicts with itself. Just look at the plan for HSE to hire more doctors, while at the same time Pearse is telling everyone that he is going to tax the crap out of those doctors???? incoherent rubbish. And people expect this party to fix the housing crisis????? 😂

Hilarious

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maybe, just maybe, the best chance of solving this is my making tough decisions.

Sorry but it is true, a lot of people sit back now and expect a "forever home" to be handed to them for free and if they don't get it then it is everyone else's fault.

The way people go on you would expect nobody in Ireland has bought a house in the last 5 years, that anyone in their 20's hasn't been able to buy a house. Well that is not true. Houses are bought and sold everyday of the week to people of all ages.

Yes we need more houses and yes the housing price needs to come down but that doesn't change the fact that houses are been built and based on recent reports the majority of these houses are been bought by people to live in.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's going to be extremely difficult to rebuild a country when your policy is to tax the people who are needed to do the work. I don't know how SF plan to get the arcitechs, designers, quantity surveyors etc when they are planning on taxing these people the most if elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Its a complete mess TBH and i dont know how it can be fixed. Building costs and labour shortages are now the major problem for anyone looking at building property.

How would i fix it.

I would legislate to get non paying tenants evicted in a timely manner and make them liable for outstanding unpaid rent. For people who genuinely have hit hard times like losing their job a simplified system to get rent assistance would also need to be looked at so they can stay in their home wiith this payment going directly to landlord.

There also needs to be a fines system for tenants and landlords. This would like road traffic offences. Landlords who fail to keep their properties upto a certain standard and for tenants who do damage to property beyong wear and tear.

Legislation should also be introduced for longer leases possibly upto 10 years with one rent review after 5 years. This would give the tenant and landlord greater certainty. Also if the landlord wishes to sell the tenant would not be affected. Tax incentives would be needed for this for both parties.

We so need to build affordable homes and social housing. As i said costs and labour shortages are our biggest issues for this and then how do we pay for it. I suggest we tax Cuckoo funds to pay for this. There should be a standard tax rate of maybe 30% for them with no loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

Sad to say but no, I don't think it can be fixed. With the population increasing at a fast rate & set for 7.5 ml, then it could get a lot worse.

Not sure how you don’t know

But anyway just look at the unpaid rent in DCC housing, last time I checked it was 32m of people sitting in free houses just in Dublin

This is replicated all over the country, even a recent Sinn Fein TD sat in a house for years without paying rent, Sinn Fein as a party had no problem with that

Who said a generation of 25-35? I certainly didn’t, if you read my post I said people in that age group are buying houses

But also people in that group do sit back waiting for a free house which you denied and now say they exist.

So will leave you at that because in the end you have agreed with what I said 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

This and also stop the nonsense of demonizing landlords. If we don't have landlords we will never sort the rental crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think the salient point is, and the power swap cheerleaders don't like it, is that the electorate have lost faith in the power swap's ability to solve the issues confronting them.

If an alternative government only sort those issues by 30% it will at least be a change.

They'll look at the likes of Troy now and that conviction, that systemic change must come, will be further consolidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Their plan seems to be rearranging deck chairs rather than tackling issues like planning (while actively objecting to new builds, so it'll end up as a stalemate again).

The current government spend way too much time messing with taxes and grants, SF seem hell bent on doing the same, they may get in to solve it, but will ultimately be unsuccessful.

They could however end up getting a bounce from the existing supply coming online, depending on when elections occur, and then trying to take credit for it.

Bringing developers etc. back into state control will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Augme

Sorry, but this is BS. The idea that Sinn Fein will pander to roughly 5%(current unemployed rate) of the population while punishing everyone else is ridiculous. I'm fairly certain they will want to reelect so that doesn't make any sense.

It's the usual BS trotted out by scared FFGers though. There's a reason SF are the most popular party in the pills, and it ain't because they will only pander to the unemployed while ignoring everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bringing developers etc. back into state control will be a disaster.

Jaysus, if they only ensure regulations are adhered to and that flagrant breaches are properly sanctioned, it would be a major start on the road to change in this country.

Advertisement