Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭mikethecop

A bunch of student union mouth pieces and pro Russia populists money grabbers controlled by who ever is in the army council these days allied with some former comrade's who are now dodgy scam artist builders who have already wonderfully displayed their inability to govern a city never mind a country ? ya they will make great use of the public purse 🙄🙄🙄

their links to organized crime alone would shame Putin or orban

many shinnerbots here proclaim the mantra , "sure they can be as bad as fffg can they" as a election slogan

well yes the can , and a lot worse

Where do Sinn Fein stand on immigration? It seems to me that immigration is a pretty big factor in the housing shortage (and will be an increasing burden on water and electricity consumption).

And where do they stand on high rise accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Well, one thing is for sure - FF and FG have been at the helm for decades and they've clearly demonstrated that they've no interest in fixing the country's housing catastrophe. Building social housing on a small scale is no solution.

Could SF be any worse? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Give us all a shout when that tired old cliched nonsense begins to work Mike.

Seen the latest scandal of a FF ministerial incumbent's activity? And the FG/FF/Gr wagons being circled to protect him?

point proven yet again ,

sfs main mantra is we arent fffg , given everything else associated with sf its laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Would you expect anything different from SF? What was their opinion on one of their TDs refusing to pay her charity-subsidised rent for 4 years?

Its the hope that will kill you Francie, but when it comes down to it, SF are just the acceptable face of a terrorist org, who are promising they will solve all problems, but will do f-all.

You and others might think SF couldn’t do any worse than the poor calibre of politicians we currently have in Government, but they could, a lot worse. Say what you like about FG/FF, the fact is that in the last 10 yrs our economy has gone from bust to boom with FULL employment and lots of high paying jobs. SF, given the opportunity, undoubtedly could harm our economy.

they are waiting to be told by the army council of terrorists , thats really where all major calls are made in this "democratic organization " if they have an opinion given to them then standing orders are to filibuster

As a USP, it seems to be working. Tough for you guys to accept I know.

Maybe the tired old mantra emanating back should change before it's too late? It's clearly falling on deaf ears.

Well Dav, I have never said they will solve all problems (don't think they have either)

All I require of them is that they end the toxic power swap we have had here for 100 years. If the Troy affair doesn't convince you of the arrogance of power infesting our government, I don't suppose anything will.

What SF do if they get into government will be assessed then. My view is, it cannot possibly be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

There is no party that can fix the crisis. What I hope they do is turn it around and pay for builds instead of buying off the market and leasing. Companies from all over the world are coming to Ireland to build and rent to the state. We are ready made customers and it has to stop.

We need to stop relying on these companies and build social and affordable that working tax payers need.

We can't afford to continue wasting money on 25 year leases and buying off market.

We need to bar politicians and their families from investing in property until we are out of crisis.

We have the builders and companies to build for us. We need to make emergency accommodation a rarity not the norm. Its in the name ffs.

• Advertisement

Of course it could be worse.

They have been in Government in the North, how has that worked out for the population?

No, there is no 'government' in the north. The 'government' sits in Westminster and devolves some powers to an Executive that is run in an entirely different way to here.

This isn't that hard to grasp, it's been that way for quite some time.

And yes, it could be worse. The problem for the power swap is that they have created the circumstances were the electorate look like they want SF in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think they will gain power in the next election. They will throw a bit of money at the problem without fully understanding why it is a problem. When this fails, they will blame greedy landlords and developers and harangue them for not providing what the country needs. However, despite this, problems with housing will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sure, but that's not the touted plan (are SF bringing in more regulators? I know they supported the government bill on the construction industry register, but it's only effective if there is people to enforce it rather than after the fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I've asked you this before, and barring a magic money tree answer, if you, a council, have €100m budget per annum for housing at council level and need to house 2000 families, what is your split in that budget of buying vs. renting accommodation?

And, actually on topic, are SF proposing to stop renting off private landlords and only buy properties? Is that part of their manifesto? If not, what is their proposed split and is that split different to what the current government are doing?

My own prediction is that budget realities mean very little change happens in this regard with an SF-led government.

We need to bar politicians and their families from investing in property until we are out of crisis.

That's an interesting one, do they need to divest themselves of all these assets when elected? How is it work-able, what would the legislation look like? Not allowed to invest in a pension fund that has property in it's portfolio (for example)?

Not hard to grasp, yet you haven’t grasped it.

The elected, local politicians, not Westminister MPs make the key decisions on how Northern Ireland is governed.

There are a number of Government Departments in NI, so you trying an intimate that Westminister, and not the Government/Assembly that SF are elected to, control those departments, is facetious.

Northern Ireland government departments

There are nine Northern Ireland government departments:

• Department for Communities
    • Department for Infrastructure
    • Department for the Economy
    • Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
    • Department of Education
    • Department of Finance
    • Department of Health
    • Department of Justice
    • The Executive Office

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I bought in 1988. I got the roof re-done as it was leaking badly and then lived for ten years effectively out of one room. I had no heating, no washing machine and one working ring on a cooker.

I had a horrible brown couch that a friend of my mother's had been dumping.

I saved and saved for ten years to get the place rewired and replumbed (and eventually I did). Friends of mine did the same. Different generation, different attitudes, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Personally i doubt if they can but after a lifetime of voting for FG or Labour i'm willing to give them the chance to attempt to fix it the next time i step inside the voting booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The elephant in the room is uncontrolled immigration. The more people here, the more houses needed. Citizenship given out like confetti, amnesties to reward law-breakers, those from the EU who cannot support themselves put on housing lists instead of kicked out.

Until someone sorts that out, and Sinn Fein won’t, we’ll be chasing our tails as more come in than we can possibly build to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How much did the house cost compared to your wage and how much is a comparable house going for nowadays?

• Advertisement

would sf stoop this low ?

your kidding right ? we still haven't found all the bodies from sfs low stooping

See that 'Government Department' bit? Devolved powers cannot be compared to full powers. Please stop treating people as idiots and at least try to properly understand the constraints on each of those 'departments'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm really not sure that "Arra they can't be any worse than the current shower" is a compelling or sensible reason to vote for anyone. The stark reality is that they can and most likely will be worse.

SF (and AAA/PBP etc.) are a professional opposition party with no economic policy other than "Moar taxes on people our voter base don't like". I'm not even particularly sure they want to be the majority, party, tbh. "Blame the government" has been their narrative and manifesto for pretty much their entire existence - what happens to that when you *are* the Government???

It suits them to be in opposition, tbh. Much easier to point the finger and throw soundbites out than actually govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Given that step 1 is stop the ridiculous levels of immigration, the answer is no.

Loads of people still doing that. Members of my family are. Set back a few years now with the crazy prices of materials.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It cost just short of 2.5 times my salary at the time. It took me 15 months to save the 1700 deposit. When I paid the mortgage off, 20 years later, I asked the bank if I had come in the following day and wanted to borrow to buy my house would they give me a loan. They said no. By then it was probably worth about 6 times my salary, though it had been worth more at the height of the madness.

Now it is worth about 34 times my income, but my income is a good bit under 20k, so that distorts things somewhat.

*On a side note, the nonsense I had to put up with ( 'Oh but you might meet a nice man') to get a mortgage in my own name in the 80s was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

so 34 times your sub 20k income, so probably 10 times the industrial average..... It might not be a mentality issue.

Same here with the added complication of being what was then called a “deserted” wife! My house was also 2.5 times my salary. No bathroom. Toilet outside in a shed. Over the last 40odd years, a bathroom and kitchen were built on. Double glazing, central heating, new roof, insulation and dry lining. All done as funds allowed. At retirement, it was worth 7 times my salary. But, it’s value is irrelevant. It is my home and I’m so glad to own it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We have to be weened off renting and buying. It will be a slow process. FF/FG have put us in the position were we need to rent and buy because they never seriously started to prepare to move us away from it. Much in the way they took other emergency items such as hotels and b&bs and made them part of the regular system. A colossal waste of tax payer money and all to feed the private industry of investors.

I would make it that they sell off or give away any property investment interests while we are deemed to be in crisis. They cannot be trusted to make the right decision for the tax payer due to conflict of interest. If you want to be a property investor, you can't be a TD. This would include any funds engaged in it.

Property investment companies aren't flooding into Ireland to help us out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Weaned off renting and buying and onto what, exactly?

The answer is going to be council housing, isn't it?

Advertisement