Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I will just comment on 9, you want to stop building houses in the middle of a housing crisis?

if you do that and then transfer back into county council, what do you think the county council are going to do? they are not a construction company!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭almostover

I agree with you, we can't pause baby making or increasing life expectancy. Hence we must pause inward immigration. At least until such time as we have the infrastructure to cope with it. Otherwise all those new babies will have no houses to live in and the elderly will freeze due to lack of energy infrastructure and/or clog up our already overburdened health system.

What is the point in continuing the current immigration policies when we know its going to make our main societal problems worse? At least consider a short term pause?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There will not be a "short term pause" on inward migration. We're a country that enjoys access for our citizens to most countries around the world without much fuss, have been emigrating ourselves for decades, it's just not a possibility unless some right wing nuts get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭almostover

What's the alternative so? Immigration quotas perhaps? It's either that or we get real about housing, health and energy. Just watching the news on the +1 channel and the Irish refugee Council is on speaking about the fact that they can't house 130 of the asylum seekers that landed here last week. The national sports campus is being looked at the house them. So continue on with inward immigration and let them roam the streets and live in makeshift refugee camps instead?

I'm not against immigration at all. There is conflict and famine all over the world and as a nation we should do what we can for people fleeing these situations. But it's incumbent upon us to ensure we can provide basic shelter for people and an opportunity to integrate into normal society. And opportunity for those already resident in Ireland. It's easy to dismiss my suggestion as right wing nonsense but what's the alternative? I'm open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The alternative is that we build accommodation and slowly reduce the use of emergency accommodation. The, relatively, low level.of net immigration doesn't really impact things here apart from driving a fee headlines and being a dogwhistle to others.

Ireland just isn't going to pause on this, is any party even hinting at such a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We can't control EU migration.

We could limit non-EU migration, in the interest of slowing the growth of demand for rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or we could just start building......maybe....radical idea i know, but shur.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Interesting conversation between Anton Savage and Eoin O'Broin on Newstalk this morning. I thought Eoin was a bit fluffy on the numbers and where all the new houses would come from. A lot of assumptions being made. https://www.newstalk.com/news/1380419-1380419

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Eoin proving once again he is a greta man shouting in the Dail but ask him a few questions and it all starts to fall apart

yet again SF prove they haven't a clue and it's like throwing darts at a dart board for their housing policies

"It doesn't add up"

• Advertisement
Advertisement