Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

A house is a huge investment for the person, the seller, the bank etc

Lots of houses get bought and sold very easily, of course some take longer and that’s the ones you hear about, not about the quick ones

At the moment the issue is supply, the amount of projects rejected or spend years in court before they finally get approvals they should have got in first place is the delay

We Ned to streamline the planning process, also stop the ability of political parties to block housing and make sure these mindless rejections are stopped. Like I seen apartments been held up because someone is saying it will cast a shadow on their house in the morning 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Meant to share this earlier, particularly in the context of FFG policies encouraging rental rather than home ownership.

Just look at the salaries folks wlll need to be considered, with cuckoo funds doing affordability checks, god bless them.

Whilst HAP tenants not likely to be considered, can folks imagine what that would be 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Housing99

Oscar Traynor is private developers building on public lands. Public lands should only be used for public housing built by the state. The 60,000 households on hap who should be in public housing attests to that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maybe, just maybe Sinn Fein are the most popular because they spew out so much populist bullsh!t??

I would vote for them if I believed that they could deliver ¼ of what they promise while reducing income tax for those on less than €100,000 and borrow nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just a reminder of the scheme that SF voted against.

Almost eight years after plans for the site were first mooted, a revised proposal by developers Glenveagh was approved at a meeting of Dublin City Council last night.

Councilors voted 36-23 in favour of the controversial development, with three Labour councilors breaking party ranks to oppose the deal.

Sinn Féin, People Before Profit, the Social Democrats and a number of Independents all voted against the plan, which was supported by Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, the Green Party and most Labour councilors.

The vote comes one year after councilors overwhelmingly rejected Glenveagh’s plans to develop the Dublin City Council owned site, which would have seen 50pc of homes sold privately.

An alternative plan proposed that the entire scheme be developed by the local authority, with 80pc used for social/cost rental and 20pc designated for affordable housing.

• Advertisement

As I said on other thread

its not a shock that different houses and apartments have different rents. That was always the case!!! Always will be

Look what Sinn Fein do for renters

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ni-wide-10-rent-cut-halted-after-sinn-fein-u-turns-to-vote-down-proposal-41420034.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

SF have no track record in being of the ability to solve problems like this.

one issue facing them is supply vs demand… yet here is an avidly pro immigration party…. Wishing to multiply the demand. This before they have the first clue about sorting the supply.. for the ‘current’ population.

so we need more social housing, NOW… yet Sinn Fein want hundreds of thousands more people allowed here to compete with taxpayers for what little housing there is and will be….

You'd end up with another odevaney garden farce.....using state land to funnel houses to forgien investment funds to fleece money off Irish workers and export it out of economy,

Eamonn devalera saw through the fallacy of sending money to forgien landlords 90 years ago,and pulled the plug on it,why would you use state land to repeat mistakes of 100 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Yes they can fix it.

Sorry I can't be critical of the government (who are responsible) as they have plenty of behind the scenes defenders silencing dissenting voices.

Sinn Fein don’t know what they want, it’s the flip flop party.

Thry just tell people what they want to hear and know they will never have to deliver, even their supporters are starting discussion like this more or less saying Sinn Fein will fail at housing if they get into government because of the current government.

Sinn Fein and supporters already realise they have no idea how to fix any problems, especially housing which they have helped to create, so get in early excuses and then say “I told you so”

Incorrect, housing for everyone in Ireland.

Do you honestly think that people who are working and paying tax are not entitled to buy a house/apartment in Oscar Traynor development?

• Advertisement

Of course this true and I too dealt with this elsewhere but what a link to the Belfast Telegraph has to do with this discussion & Thread a mystery to me, I'm somewhat more concerned at what's going to happen with the next government, opperating out of the Dail, I'm not getting into NI assembly or Westminster politics, thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What are you on about foreign investment funds in this case?

A deal with developer Glenveagh will see 853 homes built at Oscar Traynor Road in Santry, 40 per cent of which will be used for social housing, 40 per cent for cost rental homes, and 20 per cent sold to low- and middle-income workers qualifying for the upcoming affordable purchase scheme.

What do you want public land used for? 100% social housing?

I earn too much for HAP and want to own a home.

I want to see 100% social housing on public lands. It will bring low income earners out of the private market and also its the right thing morally to do

Ideally we should look towards Vienna model that works, where any household on under 70,000 qualifies so social housing set at 15% of their income and 60% of the population lives in them. And they constantly build new supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭mikethecop

so what are sf doing with their huge property portfolio to help the housing situation ?

It’s fairly clear why the link was posted.

You are more concerned yet you are unwilling to ask the party you support to stop blocking houses now and making people homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Please explain how you propose to enforce that policy? Sterilisation? Deportation? Euthanasia? Seriously, please elaborate...I'm intrigued

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is not all doom and gloom....

I have been watching "Cheap Irish Homes" on RTE over the last while. It is incredible what people can buy for €150k if they move to the sticks and "rough it" a bit for a while. This is what I would do if I had to. When I bought my first home I had to live in a tiny house )2 bed, no heating, no front garden, leaky roof etc...) which was a building site for an extended period of time. I renovated as I could afford to. I just feel that many (not all) people that are looking for a home would not go through what I went through and set their sights too high. I know not everyone can work from home, but many can yet they refuse to move to affordable property becasue they want to live somewhere that they will never be able to afford.

Look at what can be bought in Enniscorthy from €220k (new A2 rated) for example:

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/old-forge-road-milehouse-road-enniscorthy-co-wexford/2908410

^^^ This would be affordale to many (not all) young couples.

Perhaps Sinn Fein would have a better chance if they promoted moving people to more remote towns and villages instead of trying to house so many in areas that are unaffordable.

Yes,100percent social housing,but expand the social housing net upto 78K household in Dublin and 65K across rest of state.....the band's for it,and HAP haven't changed in a generation,I know people trapped in abusive relationships,due to being too high income (36K) to qualify

We are destroying next generation with forcing people into destition to serve forgien landlords,I see lads in work,living in social housing who can sub/help their kids in college,who if we play out this market nonsense,simply wouldn't be able too,and then trapping further generations into poverty to line pockets of the rich

This has effect of increasing value of state asset sheet,and provides a stream of income in rent to the state to cover maintenance and cost over long term,but won't result in making forgien landlords rich,so our rulers won't allow it

Single people cannot afford those mortgages on the average income, professional employment doesnt exist in those areas.

Also the end result of such attitudes is to gentrify the whole of Dublin free of anyone earning under 80,000

Nice houses in enniscourty,and a valid suggestion,but these will require a car which is about e5-800 a month between everything to commute to Waterford or Dublin for work

Resulting in a similar cost of an extra 100 - 130K on a mortgage in a larger town/city

• Advertisement

I'm not all sure how many times I need to tell you BA I don't, nor have I ever supported SF, so the cheap shots are like water of a ducks back, my voting preferences really not relevant, I'm more Independent or indeed SD leaning as you've been told numerous times.

I've absolutely no interest in the Belfast telegraph in relation to the appalling housing crisis's being discussed, if I want international news, I read the Gaurdian.

I'm alright in that I don't have the worries of thousands of people trying to find affordable accommodation or wish to purchase an affordable home, but that doesn't mean I can't care or have an opinion & as you well know but off topic there's quite enough to be disgusted about re FFGG discussed robustly elsewhere.

Complain about the lack of rental properties

complain about large rental companies buying houses to rent

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The information release shows the majority of houses in ireland are bought by people who are living in them.

The “information” you are finding on Twitter is rubbish 👍👍

And yet nowhere have I complained about lack of houses to rent...try stay in touch with reality pet

Landlordism is a spiff of a industry,hasn't massive changed in terms of destruction it does to economies since famine times,yet our rulers insist we continue this farce,when we have a massive land asset agency which can oversee it and be held accountable politically

This is it!

Im earning 40,000 and Im working a second part time weekend job to save a deposit. Im actually willing to live anywhere within a 2 hour commute of Dublin so I can own a home. The problem is, to move to Wexford or Louth (two areas that I can afford a 1 bed after a year of saving), is that the mortgage will be affordable in the region of 500 a month, but the cost to get to work would be - car loan of a 10 year old seat in the region of 150 a month, insurance for a new driver at 30 180 a month, and fuel costs in the region of 600 a month. So between transport and mortgage its 1750 a month. Add in bills etc your looking at 2100 or more before Ive spent a penny. So no way to afford to have a night out, no holidays, no savings etc. It would literally be work and sitting in the house. Thats no life

People like to rent, so because you don’t want to rent everyone else is supposed to suffer in your opinion?

I think that’s the point you are making or am I wrong? 👍

You posted this before, a full thread. You got loads of advice and you can buy in Dublin, even some lovely people finding locations with properties available to buy in budget.

You advised Balbriggan and Ongar. And went based on the asking price even though the property price register shows they sell for 20k more

Ive pretty much accepted Drogheda is my best bet as it has a town with services and regular trains to Dublin so I wont need to waste money on a car. But Im not happy about it

Lol,nothing stop the 14 percent of renter who happy to rent,from renting off a national asset agency

We can do better than serve forgien landlords,your rulers are lying to yous,we have every right to see country run correctly.....we are already supporting 54 percent of renter's,why not keep this money in state pocket instead of legalising theft,and lining pockets of a spiff industry?

I also come down to why is it that my grandfather, who worked for the ESB, could have a home in Crumlin in the 1950s and 60s, earn enough to support a family of 12 on that one income and the provided social housing and that was the "bad old days" when the country was "dirt poor". Yet today we cannot build this housing anymore? We could house half of Dublin when we where poor though? Why not now, why did my grandads generation of working class people get the right to a home in Dublin but mine dont?

• Advertisement

“your rulers are lying to yous” 🤦‍♂️

So you want to shut down all rental apart from renting off a government agency?

Sounds great comrade

Advertisement