Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth getting an advisor?

Options
  • 20-08-2022 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working off farm and will be starting a partnership with the auld fella over the next year or so. We're a small dairy and dairy to beef operation. Milking 60, and about 250 acres, some of it rented out.

Anyway, himself has always been against getting an advisor or any sort of external help or advice, mostly out of stubbornness. With the new schemes in play, I'm starting to think it will be vital to get an advisor in. Do most people in here have an advisor? If so, do you see it as essential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

It will be a requirement to use an advisor to access the new ACRES scheme....similar to GLAS

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Look anyone starting out will need an adviser .Various different schemes and grants there for young farmers .I dealt with Teagasc ,top drawer service but then again it depends what adviser is working for teagasc local to you .Ask around neighbour farmers who they use and you can't go far wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

When I started back farming in 2015 I got an advisor and found him useful for the first year or two.

After that, I found this farming forum on boards (invaluable) and realised whatever the advisor was telling me I had already read on here or seen in the Journal.

I was with Teagasc back then but might consider a private guy if there was a KT scheme in the offing. Talking to other farmers is much more useful than a public servant (essentially what Teagasc advisors are) reading from a Government document

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

He's no "doe" either the boss man, if he's 250 acres land under him. whatever you do, don't buy or read the journal.

Get a few names of independent men in the greater area your in.don't go with the first suggested, unless his name comes up time & time again as being very good.

No harm inviting him out to look at options for the future or any changes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

if it’s worth getting an advisor or not depends if you are going to implement their advice or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

This is definitely bad advice.

Just because an adviser recommends something doesn't mean it's the best route to take.

By all means listen, but make up your own mind after. Do not allow yourself to be pressured into a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Similar here, do it all here myself. Its actually very easy to apply for most schemes on agfood.

The only time I have in the past 5-6 year I have had to engage with an advisor has been to make plot changes for SFP.

Tams is relatively straightforward to apply and submit claims. Being knowledge of changes and potential schemes is vital, it's easy to keep up to speed with boards here, and the agri media

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

This 1000% ask your neighbors who they use. I've dealt with planners that didn't know their arse from their elbow and have lost farmers thousands from simply not ticking a box on the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Get a good accountant first...He might even recommend a good advisor.

They're 2 of the most important agents you'll have on the farm.

Advertisement