Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Therapy Degree Level 8 Portobello Institute

• 20-08-2022 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My teenager is considering the Sports Therapy 3 year degree that the Portobello Institute are offering. It’s awarded by The University of Essex. He is currently enrolled in TU Dublin, studying a Sports & Coaching Mgt and has completed year 1.

I am reading mixed reviews about the Portobello, they are also not registered with the HCEA where the likes of DBS, Griffith and Dorset are.

It is expensive so I am trying to do as much research as we can before we commit.

Has anybody complete this degree or currently enrolled there?

Would this UK degree have any restrictions here in Ireland?

General feedback on the college too would be gratefully appreciated…

Thanking you all in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Tayto__

Hello. I strongly advise you not to spend your money on this course or any course with Portobello Institute.

I can only tell you my own experience but every classmate and people in other classes who I spoke tom shared the same view. The courses are obviously very expensive and you get very little return for your investment. First of all the college is based in one building with very little facilities. It has one small gym area which we never got to use! The lecturers there are good for the most part (although they have some who aren't qualified), they try their best but your child will spend their time sitting in a classroom looking at powerpoint presentations as that's all they have. The courses are just thrown together with no plan.

Communication from any management or college supervisors is practically non existent unless they are looking for fees to be paid. Their communication then is excellent. The fees you will pay is almost €6,000 per year. The problem is, once you've realised you have paid 6k for an unstructured and unorganised course, you then have to consider whether you've invested too much money to drop out after year one or just pay for the next 2 years. The course you're looking at is linked with the University of Essex, they used to be linked to a University in London. I'm not sure if the London University dropped them because of the complaints they were getting about Portobello Institute but they are no longer linked with them from looking at Portobello's website.

If you decide to go ahead with this, your child will get a degree easy enough. 3 years and they have it but they won't have learned a whole lot. There are many PLC courses that are at a far higher standard. You'll be basically spending nearly €18,000 to buy a degree with little substance to it. Going by my class, progressing to a masters in Ireland will be very difficult, your child will most likely have to go to the UK. I'm not sure if there's a standard regulator for Irish colleges but if there is I really don't know how Portobello has passed. As I said, I advise you not to waste your money and to look for an alternative for your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Galwaygirl2018

Thank you for being so honest @Tayto__ I appreciate it.

it is a lot of money to be spending and like you said when you’ve invested in a year at €6K you may as well go on.

I did read something similar about the college elsewhere too.

Its a shame there is no other college offering this course in Ireland. I don’t think now after reading this , and from previous reviews online I will be investing with Portobello.

Apart from the college how do you find the course? And do you mind mind me asking how many years you have completed?

Advertisement