Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber or PvC Sash Windows

Options
  • 20-08-2022 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

Im looking to buy sash windows at the moment and need to achieve a u value of 1.4 or lower for an SEAI grant, is this possible and can anyone recommend companies that would meet the low u value in the sash style.

I prefer the look of timber frames but from what I've been told they can't achieve the lower u values of PvC. Is this correct?

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

uPVC will give you 40 years maintenance free. Timber will shrink and expand and twist with the relative humidity and will need painting every few years. Painting timber windows is very time consuming. Buy uPVC.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wouldn't agree with this at all, timber (or alu-clad) will look far better than PVC. PVC will make your sash windows look cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭bemak

you can get very good uPVC windows now that have a bit of 'grain' in them - they look very convincing to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, that is why you maintain them.

Using PVC for a sash window, which is a traditional window style, is going to look wrong IMO. PVC windows are generally the cheapest option and they will look it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

From what I understand you can achieve low U-values with any of the available window frame materials but uPVC will have better performance (i.e. a lower U-value) at a price point compared to other available materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure you'll achieve the required u-values with timber, but if you don't mind having them painted them on the inside, Accoya is worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I want to stress it depends on the location. A very exposed south facing window wont last as long as a more sheltered one. I have seen windows frames that are grand after 70 years of abandonment on the right location.

You can easily get wooden windows of 1.4 U-value now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Tow

If the building is listed (Dublin Corpo have listed entire roads/areas) you may only be allowed to use period wooden sash windows. We had issues with them when renovating a house and used uPVC sash windows. Argued and kept them in the end, looked better than most of the other houses on the road, many with old aluminum single glazed windows.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement