Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding new Decos to my existing Deco setup

Options
  • 20-08-2022 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

A few months back I bought a 2 pack Deco M4 system and it works well but I still a have a couple of Wi-Fi blackspots. I want to now add some more but have a question about doing that.

With my current setup, I have one Deco plugged into the router and one in the living room.

I now want to put two units upstairs

If I buy another 2 pack, will both units work as part of the MESH, or does one of the units in the box, need to be plugged into the router. In other words, can both units from the box be used as regular add on units or are the units designed in the packs so that at least one must be attached to the router, even though I already have one from a previous pack attached to the router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've used a few Deco P9's in different houses - I set them up in two different relative's houses, to see if their Ethernet-over-Powerline functionality is an improvement in their old, thick-walled houses, which it was, and then I took them back and set them up again in my own house (my relatives then bought their own P9's).

From all this setting up, I can confirm that you can choose any Deco unit to be the Main Deco, so any new units you add can be set up as a non-main Deco unit.

You can even use other models of Deco unit in the same network, but there can be issues, like the network may only work at the speed of the slowest unit, if they are not all capable of the same speeds, etc.

Advertisement