Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding maths to teaching Council registration

Options
  • 20-08-2022 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello

I have 10 credits 1st year maths in college introductory maths and applied maths 10 credits 2nd year maths in college Linear algebra and intermediate calculus for scientists and 5 credits maths in 4th year the teaching of maths.I therefore have 25 credits and need 35 to be registered to teach maths.

Did anyone here do a BSc.Ed(Hons) degree and could let me know what modules you did in open University and/or what modules/classes you did in UCC or a Cork College if you did it this way.

Thank you very much for your help.

Post edited by Teacher17 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I was in a similar position but didn't pursue maths. If you email our highly regarded professional body, the Teaching Council and they will tell you. I needed three modules one of which was the history of naths. Start there so when you do the modules, you have proof. When you have that, contact the maths department of your local university and they will help you out.

Don't know if you're teaching but you can upskill in maths in a number of universities funded by the department of education. Don't know if they are run every year or every second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacher17

Thanks.

Yes I've contacted the teaching council a number of times but they don't give me the answer to my question it's very frustrating.

Yes I am teaching and have been for a few years but I still don't have a CID and I know adding maths will help.I am trying to decide if I should take a year out to do whatever I need to do,combine teaching and learning in 2 years like the upskilled course or if there is any other way.I need 35 credits so hopefully would be exempt from certain things.It is hard to go back to college though🙈but I think it's my only option at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Platnium

There was a new requirement added in the last year or so that you would need 5 credits in 'teaching maths' module, therefore isn't as simple as just adding maths modules.

Doing the department paid course seems to be the best option as modules can be expensive from other universities.

As you have a science degree would you consider doing an SEN course for job prospects? Seems to have more jobs in this area and science teachers already have numeracy/literacy teaching skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Well I suppose if your personal circumstances allowed you take a year out, by all means do. The maths course is 2 years part time though. It's not that hard to go back - finished a post grad - I enjoyed the research again. Adding subjects will get you that CID for sure but luck also comes into it - right place, right time.

Thanks.I did the teaching of maths module in 4th year.

Yes I am also very interested in SEN.I'm actually looking into this too.

• Advertisement

Thanks.Ill still hoping to be in the right place at the right time.....eventually.

I'd really rather not take a year or two out but I don't think I'd manage the two at thr same time.

Advertisement