Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove detergent drawer from washing machine to clean it?

• 20-08-2022 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Help! I have never removed the detergent drawer from my Whirlpool AWZ 410 washing machine, and it badly needs a clean. The only thing is, I have no idea how to safely remove it as there seems to be absolutely no release button or mechanism that I can see, and I don't want to just yank it out as it is definitely caught good and tight on something behind the drawer once I pull it out as far as I can. Can anybody help, this is really annoying me. I've Googled and Youtubed it, and they all just say 'push the release button at the back of the drawer'. There isn't one!!

Secondly, the rubber seal around the door is gunged up, I have physically cleaned out the slimy stuff and put a commercial cleaning product through the machine. There is nothing coming out of the drain at the bottom of the machine if that's relevant. Do I just need to clean out the seal every so often to keep it clear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭sirmixalot

Should be able to pull it out as far as it goes the angle it upwards and then it'll come out.

Had the same problem with the gunge, run a pint of vinegar and lemon juice I think to break it all down.

And stop using fabric conditioner too if you are as that's what's cause the build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks sirmixalot, I've tried angling it upwards and pulling and there's just no give on it. I really don't want to break it. :( I never use fabric conditioner, but I'll try some vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Google your question for your model.

I bet someone has the same problem and solution for that model.

And also Google the manual did your model.

I've googled to infinity, literally every reply/instruction for the model is just 'pull out to remove the dispenser drawer'. I can't pull any harder without fearing that I'm going to break something behind the drawer. It will just NOT come out by any normal methods. It almost seems like it's not meant to be removed or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

Pull drawer out to maximum allowable and then Grab the drawer with both hands and gently angle it downwards, then wriggle it with your hands/side to side /and downwards back to level position and pull it out in more of the downward angle. It should pop out.

I have a similar whirlpool and there's no lever/button on drawer and appliance repairman showed me this technique :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had a Whirlpool machine before, can't remember the model number though - there was a little lever on the left hand side that you had to depress to release the drawer. It pulled out so far, then stuck - the lever press released it the rest of the way.

I believe there's a extra piece of plastic on the bottom of the drawer which prevents the drawer from coming out completely and falling on the floor. So you have to wriggle the drawer so this bump gets out/over the frame around the drawer.

Thanks guys, I've just tried all your suggestions but nothing is working. I wonder, because I've never removed the drawer before, if whatever is holding it in place behind is fused or something and it's just not going to come out. It absolutely should not be this difficult. Literally nothing except brute force will work at this stage I think, and that of course might break the drawer.

Maybe but if you feel you can't move it and it could break then better not try to force it out and break it etc and see if you can clean inside using a long brush etc or shove in wet cloth and rup in around using a wooden stick etc?!

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

When you open the drawer you will see the compartment where you put the fabric conditioner in. You may see 'Push' written on it, push the tab down and the drawer will come out.

https://youtu.be/Q_DlJMscZQg

• Advertisement

Nope, nothing, no buttons or levers or anything. I've given up on it at this stage, but thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

Whirlpool AWZ 412 so a similar model to yours:

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-appliance/2jj1i-remove-detergent-soap-drawer-whirlpool.html

"Hiya,

You lift and pull, you have to overcome the stop.

There is no other way.

Open the drawer fully and you'll see the stop if you look underneath the drawer.

It won't just slide out easily "

If I were you I'd get underneath the drawer and use a torch to see if you can see what's causing the resistance, prying it upwards/down/aside if needs be, in order to get the drawer out.

The manual for your model doesn't give much detail you're right, it just says pull out the drawer, so not much help, but that means there's no catch or button to press.

Advertisement