Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK banks and their differing policies to non-Uk residents that have accounts with them.

• 20-08-2022 9:06pm

Just thought I'd start a discussion here re anyone living in the Republic of Ireland that has an account in a UK bank. Personally I have had a current account with the Bank of Ireland UK in Newry since around 2010. Its called a Basic Cash Account, basically a bog standard current account with a cash card. Recently upgraded to their Clear current account that comes with a Visa debit card. Opening it was a pretty painless process. Just needed a photo of an ID, a selfie of you holding the ID, and a photo of a utility bill.

What I find interesting though is the various UK banks policies towards their non-UK account holders. Both AIB NI and Ulsterbank NI allowed non-UK residents to open accounts until the end of 2020, but then stopped once the Brexit transition period period ended on 1 Jan 2021. Existing account holders were allowed to keep their accounts open. However banks like Barclays are closing accounts of non-UK residents. Barclays said it was too much hassle to apply for a license in each individual EU country to maintain these accounts, hence their decision to close these accounts.

How come all these banks seem to have differing policies re non-resident accounts. Are they not all governed by the same rules?

Advertisement