Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance for rental car in Europe

Options
  • 20-08-2022 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello, Does anyone know, when I travel in Europe and I rent a car for a week lets say, would my Irish comprehensive insurance cover it? If not, is this something that can be added to the policy? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. No.

2/. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It may be possible to add it to your policy but would any rental company accept it? I can't see you getting any reduction on the rental rate just because you wave a piece of paper at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most insurers will not cover your rental unless you specifically ask them and agree.

Normally most people go for cheapest car hire policy with the hire company, and then get separate car hire excess insurance from a third party such as

Beware super cheap car hire from the likes of ryanair or other strange online companies.

It's better to look at the airport you are flying to and see which companies actually have desks at the airport and book directly with them. Otherwise you are going to some strange middleman or cowboy who often give crazy hidden catches such as 2,500 euro excess or very limited mileage or are not based at the airport.

To get best car hire overall prices is a minefield and many companies will falsely claim you damaged the car so take hundreds of photos on collection and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, I rented a new Porsche in Germany last month and I bought Excess insurance here as the Excess from the renter was €2500.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement