Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSM

• 20-08-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Lack of MSM (Men who have sex with men) conversations here. Looking to hear other opinions and experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Lack of sex in general if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meathman1225

Not in my experience but a distinct lack of open conversations about orientation. Lots seem to not identify as Gay or Bi but just see MSM as something they do occasionally. Like no attraction or emotion. Curious to know others thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think there's a lot of conversation likely to happen - most MSM that don't identify as gay or bi are unlikely to talk about it much surely?

There would be a value in countering the argument that MSM=closet case, which isn't the case for many; but that's not something that will pop up often.

Beyond that, is there likely to be any conversation?

Well that's what I'm trying to see. Thanks for your input 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Its a nice label I think that just ends up stratifying the whole community. Men who have sx with men dont have to have an emotional bond, if you have sex with men and women its bi, if its just men its gay, if its trans and men and women its pansexual etc. My own personal thoughts, minute a bloke says he is straight and has been with lots of other blokes its a roll eyes from me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It was only recently I became aware of the term MSM. I understood it's a catch all term, not an identity. I.e to cover homosexuals, bisexuals and male prostitutes who aren't necessarily gay. Have I left anyone out?

Think that's accurate enough in fairness . The not necessarily gay part is the key in the MSM identity if it is an identity at all

Is the sex with men and women necessarily bi? That's the crux here . MSM have sex with both but don't identify as gay or bi. We can judge but they can't all be wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

To me its a clinical term used by health professionals.

I completely accept though that some self identified cis straight men do have sex with other men

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Good luck with that one... There is enough stigma in the LGBTQ community about the legitimacy of identifying as Bi never mind straight but have sex with men.

• Advertisement

Yeah seems like it's too wide a topic to get a concensus on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

There is a sex and sexuality forum which one needs to ask to join, but it is pretty quiet there tbh. Old threads are interesting though.

edit - perhaps you were thinking in more general terms. Duh on my part.

Post edited by cuttingtimber22 on

How do I ask to join ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There is an access request thread, however post #1 states you need a minimum of 100 posts

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057728513/sex-and-sexuality-forum-access-request

Thanks for that. Maybe when im here longer

Advertisement