Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH now available at my home

Options
  • 21-08-2022 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭

Got a letter in the post addressed to the houeholder and my address. Eir FTTH up to 1Gig available at my home. Checked their online checker and confirmed. I'm assuming Eir only sell their own FTTH.

A few things:

a) The letter had loads of "virgin media customers, move now etc etc". Our town never has virgin media. In fact, we are SIRO for the last few years. You'd think Eir could at least have a different set of envelopes depending on the town they are focusing on

b) As stated, we're a SIRO town. Why would anyone want to move to Eir FTTH? Unless I'm missing something, doesn't SIRO give much better chance to get annual deals, shop around etc?

c) I didn't see any EIR activity in the past 2 years that would have suggested FTTH was going to be available. There was no pulling of cable in my estate, unless it was all done quickly during a working day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

There are 3 wholesale networks offering FTTH currently: OpenEir, SIRO and NBI. Eir sell services on OpenEir and NBI, but not SIRO as far as I know. So it sounds like your home has recently been passed by OpenEir (unlikely to be NBI as they are targeting premises that aren't currently serviced by fibre).

So you can now avail of an OpenEir connection if you want to. What's the benefit? Well, it would enable you to get deals from Eir who you currently can't go with on SIRO (and possibly some other suppliers who offer on OpenEir but not SIRO). You're not obliged to sign up with Eir in order to switch to OpenEir, it just happens they've hit you with their sales collateral first (mentions of Virgin Media are probably just poor implementation of their sales targeting). You can see a full list of ISPs for your eircode if you search on the OpenEir website.

Bear in mind that connecting to OpenEir will require a physical install and a second ONT in your home. If it were me I wouldn't bother, unless I was having specific issues with the SIRO connection.

I will say that you're lucky to have such choice though. It's a bit annoying that two wholesale networks are covering the same premises when there's loads of places that don't have either!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks snapper, you've cleared up my confusion.

I appreciate I am very lucky to have both options at the house. My error was the assumption that eir ftth is eir only. I see a plethora of suppliers able to supply eir ftth and it was a poor attempt from retail eir at sales. I'll be sticking with siro as it works plus I don't trust eir wholesale pricing

Advertisement