Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live overseas, haven’t accessed account in years

Options
  • 21-08-2022 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been living overseas for 20 years, and I have not accessed my bank account probably in the last 16 or 17 years, in fact it’s so long I can’t even remember whether I closed it or just left it there - where would I begin finding this out? I will be heading back next year and would like to start depositing $$ now. Thanks.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Its very likely dormant. .I had the same problem abd even getting info abput dormant acclints is difficult and they are difficult to reactivate especially from overseas. The account may even have been closed already.

The good news is that its fairly easy to open a new bank account once you get over here to Ireland abd can be done online . if you have certain docs (an address in ireland with a bill, a pps number , passport pic) the account will be approved very quickly.

You can get a mobile phone number (sim card) in Ireland very easily when back and use that to open the bank account with an online application. or ask your relatives to get an Irish sim and post it to you and attempt to setup a new account from overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.ie.

To reactivate an account that has not been used for this amount of time you'd need to call in to a branch with photo id, proof of address and make a lodgement to the account. The branch will check if the account was transferred to the Dormant Accounts Fund and will help with completing the relevant forms to retrieve the account.

Thanks

Tara

Advertisement