Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trust fund- how do I find one that was set up in my name after many years?

• 21-08-2022 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

First time poster, apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Any advice greatly appreciated, as I am at a loss where to begin. A close relative of mine abandoned me as a child and I have not had contact with them for many years. Without going into too much detail, it has caused me some legal issues as of late.

As I am about to get married, another relative recently gave me some family items and keepsakes (such as photos etc.). Among them I found letters from when I was a child from this relative. From what I can gather, there is a possibility that this relative set up an education trust fund in my name for when I turn 18 (I am now 34 and paid my own way through college, still have a bit of debt).

It isn't just about locating the money, (though it wouldn't hurt) I also want to ascertain if this relative actually cared enough about me to provide for me until I was 18, or if they gave up on the idea. They treated me quite badly before walking out of my life, so I really do not want to contact the relative.

Is it a lost cause or worth pursuing? And whom can I speak to to find out? Would my solicitor be able to help?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Could you ask the relative who gave you the keepsakes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact any local solicitors. They'd of had to use a solicitor to setup the trust fund and hopefully they used a local one.

Advertisement