Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect VGA output to USB-C Monitor?

• 21-08-2022 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

I recently got a new monitor that's only connection option is USB-C. This works fine for my main device - very well, actually - but I have a couple of older devices that still work off VGA for external display and I'd like to be able to connect them to the monitor if possible. So:

Is it possible to connect a VGA output to a USB-C monitor via an adapter of some sort? Everything I've found through Googling is going the other way (USB-C output converted to VGA, which is very straightforward), but I need to go VGA output (laptop) to USB-C input (monitor). I understand it could only carry picture, etc.

Thanks in advance,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The monitor has only this one type of connector?

If so and there's no VGA to USB-C available can you get VGA to something else and then convert to USB-C?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Delete post option has been removed??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭davidm25

Thanks @newmember - yes only USB-C input, no other option. My main device uses USB-C and the connection is seemless (and really good picture!) but beyond a direct USB-C to USB-C connection I'm lost. I'm open to a middleman connection if that's an option but haven't come across anything else for that either (e.g. VGA to HDMI, then HDMI to USB-C).

Thanks,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭davidm25

Hi all - just checking back in to see if anyone with any further thoughts on this? Would love to be able to connect those older devices without needing an older monitor to do it.

Thanks in advance,

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Apple do a USB-C to VGA adapter that should work for you. Not cheap mind

this one from Harvey norman is more reasonable

you will need a VGA cable in addition to the adapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

There seems to be plenty adapters to convert USBC to VGA, but not the other way around.

Be wary - a lot of these cables are not bidirectional, so if you find one make sure it can do VGA>USBC and not just USBC>VGA

You might have to go VGA>HDMI and then HDMI>VGA.

Advertisement