Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's interesting. Surely the dragon will fek off and look for him. Are they not sort of bonded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You would think so. But maybe his niece will have a close connection that might work. Haven't really see it discussed anywhere. Most people are too concerned with Laenor's elopement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Laenor's dragon (Seasmoke) is an interesting point... in the lore

the bond between a dragon and rider is made out to be for life (though I don't think we've seen this so far in the show?) so you'd expect to see his dragon follow him across the ocean (and obviously spoil the ruse) however, this ruse didn't exist in the source material so whether or not we'll see Seasmoke take another rider in the show remains to be seen

(No plot spoilers but background info from the books, spoilering just in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah, because you see Vhagar heading off after Aemond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The entire subject matter of the series is not a novel like AGOT. It’s a fictional diary/records type from multiple character sources. It’s unreliable, conflicting, gossip.

I this case it says Qarl did it, as that’s the story people will tell after the incident.

Im a bit confused how people didn’t recognise Laenor in the boat at the end. Shaven head sure. But he’s starting right at the camera.

Good episode.

You’d expect that. But would depend on the Dragon knowing he was still alive. I’m sure they’ll have a funeral for the crispy fella in the fireplace.

Or maybe his dragon will refuse to take a rider. Like the big one in the last episode that’s riderless.

I always assumed the bond was stronger than that.

Could be remembering wrong but didn't Daenerys dragons just find her via mental tracking device a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw an interesting point online regarding the darkness of the episode that the scenes were actually shot during the day (going by images released before the show aired of Rhaenyra and Daemon talking on the beach), and then a filter applied afterwards in editing to have the scene set at night. It's what makes the scenes so dark and with no natural form of light (fire, candles etc).

Some thoughts of mine.

Ser Criston's character has had quite the downward spill in to bitterness and potential villany. Ten years is a long time but the difference between him then and now is jarring.

I like watching a character change over time particularly if it's for the worse but he seems to have gone from good to not good and I don't notice shades of grey.

Whereas Alicent evokes sympathy in me in the same way Cersei did. She is a reserved woman not prone to hysteria or great shows of emotion. Vulnerability is difficult for her. In the earlier episodes she let Rhaenyra see some of that. It required trust and openness, she did not receive the same in return.

Also part of her may envied Rhaenyra's will and feistyness. Here was a girl who wouldn't be put in a box. Whereas Alicent was dutiful and did the bidding of others to the detriment of herself.

I don't think there are many "good" characters so far and I like that. It makes it more real for me. Although Laenor seems like a decent skin and I do like Rhaenyra's little boys.

Yer man Larys gives me the heebie-jeebies. He reminds me of Grima from LOTR. Shudder. Skulking about the place.

• Advertisement

We don't actually see much of "good guy" Cole. We all just assumed he was a good guy. My take on him is he is just a bit thick, easily led and not as virtuous as he likes to tell himself.

I do feel sorry for Alicent but long before Rhaenyra was dishonest with her Alicent was seducing her father to become Queen behind her back.

That is very true about Criston. His character wasn't really explored all that much.

I felt Alicent's seduction of Viserys was due to her father's influence. Do you remember her bleeding finger nails? She had them picked to shreds which indicated to me anxiety and stress.

Ya but only the viewer knows of her father's involvement. Rhaenyra never got to see that.

Alicent could have always just ended the whole issue by agreeing to marry the kids Shelbyville style.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was blindingly obvious that those scenes were shot in full sunlight and then tinted. That was the only thing that bothered me about them, not the darkness itself.

Yes Rhaenyra may have felt that to be a betrayal. The hurt each other in different ways, one feeling an injustice done by the other.

I don't think Alicent had what it took back then say no to her father. Now she is too deep in her pain and her fear of her children being murdered in order to protect Rhaenyra's claim.

Still we all have choices and perhaps her actions speak to her true character. Maybe she didn't go against her father because she was ok enough with proceedings. Anxiety ridden but very willing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That's true. I was also thinking why didn't Rhaenyra just abdicate her right to be queen and support her brother Aegon as rightful heir, would save her what looks like awful stress and misery.

Maybe deep down she was keen like Corlys pretending he was doing it all to revenge an injustice to his wife when it was actually all about his ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Possibly because he might see her and her children as a threat to his rule and have them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

True although as things stand her and her children's lives are in mortal danger. If she had abdicated ten years ago things might have settled down. Although that was probably make a boring tv show.

I can only speak for myself but I don't want to know what's in the books and it's in the thread title.

• Advertisement

Rhaenyra like a lot of Targaryens are obsessed with the idea that they will sire the "prince that was promised" and also obsessed with the idea that they are the only good ruler in a den of snakes.

I don’t know what’s in the book. I haven’t read it. But I’m aware it exists, as we all are.

I was commenting on what happen in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

The book is written from the perspective of a maester. The maester uses unreliable source to piece together what happened. So book readers didn't know Harwin Strong was Rhaenrya's children's father as it's only hinted at.

One of the sources is a jester at court and in proper George Martin style it's a midget with a gigantic penis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

When you think about it though, fact is unreliable also.

It's implied the father's DNA carries the gene for hair colour. They can't have it both ways, What with the king's son, Tennant Jr, blurting out that everyone knew just by looking at Rhaenyra's sons.

Fast forward a couple of centuries.....wasn't John targaryans' mother of dark hair and father white?

When is implied that the fathers gene carries the hair colour ?

And who is Tennant Jr. ?

Tennant Jr (David Tennant's son) is the king's son. Whatever his name was, escaped me at the time.

Viserys' children all have their fathers hair colour, not their mothers but when the roles are reversed for Rhaenyra's children, it's treated with stunned realisation and that something was amiss with the family set-up as it were.

I didn't realize that actor was a Tennant.

The reason people are shocked that Rhaenyra's kids have black hair is because both parents are silvered haired Valyrian's so there should be no outcome other than silver haired kids.

Yeah I accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: Oh my head. Oh it's just such a series of mindless events. I can't .. just.. awwweee..

Like yeah, it makes sense... just what a fall these folks have brought upon themselves.

It's all tension now. It's all ratcheted up.

I'd say they can maybe get away with one more episode but there's gonna have to be some kind of release soon. A real big fight I imagine.

Dragons are going to be the only show in town but I can't quite make out who's with who and how many dragons it'll be.

Aemond is sure gonna bring the biggest gun .. and attitude to a fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Keeping track of the dragons is a bit tricky. These are the ones mentioned and or have been seen in the show

The Blacks:

1. Rheanrya: Syrax
    2. Deamon: Caraxes
    3. Lucerys (Rheanrya's son): Areax
    4. Jacaerys (Rheanrya's son) : Vermax
    5. Rhaenys (Corley's Wife): Meleys
    6. Baela (Daemon's Daughter): Moondancer

MIA: Seasmoke (Laenor's)

The Greens:

1. Aegon II: Sunfyre
    2. Aemond 'One Eye': Vhagar
    3. Helaena (Aegon's sister-wife): Dreamfyre