Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I believe the guy with the walking aide is the son of the new Hand. Can't remember their family name but don't think he's a Targaryan.

I think they mentioned in GOT that Aemon was nearing 100 years old, so depending how long this show goes on for and how many time jumps they do going forward (different generations every few seasons up to The Mad King or something), we might see a young Aemon at some point but probably not for many seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The hand is Lyonel Strong, his son is Larys Strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

George RR Martin must've had a nice smirk as he wrote the character getting on to someone for being unable to finish was murdered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: Woah! Surreal ending!

I swear, the tension was just rocketing up for me towards the end there and I just didn't see it playing out like it did.

Of all the people involved, I just thought there was going to be others.

Definitely I was thinking red wedding and violence and I was guessing left and right about where something was going to spark off. I thought Daemon might make a move on anyone .. or anyone on him .. or Alicent might make a move on Rhaenyra.

Alicent gonna be up to something with Ser Criston .. has to be.

Also for the future.. my mind dwells on

what is going to wipe out all the Dragons. Maybe it's too far ahead of an event though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow that must be the grimmest, grimiest, grottiest hour of television I've ever watched, well beyond any single episode of GoT. Feel like I need a shower after it...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Son Of Caba

This show so far has been unreal. Can't wait to watch episode 6 now tonight. It has definitely passed my expectations of what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Welp, that was a lot. Some thoughts:

1. Alicent is a Grade A cnut

2. So is Ser Criston

3. Viserys, seriously, grow a fcuking pair

4. Aegon looks like Finn Wolfhard in a bad wig

5. Where's Syrax?

6. Cause I want her to light Larys the fcuk up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

they couldn't have 1 kid to secure the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What if it took multiple attempts to get Rhaenyra pregnant, and then when it did happen, they kept having girls. That was what was in front of Leonor.

Could you f**k someone counter to your sexuality again and again to continue your line ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Gah that episode was jarring. The connection and immersion of the past episodes just felt broken. Rhaenyra and Alicent just didn't feel the same after they changed up who was playing them. It felt just like a story being told rather than characters to get invested in. That matched up with ..

the feeling of Daemon and how he seemed to lose the run of his push for the throne.

So what's going on now. It's just gonna be some one missing domino between a big fight from what I can tell and I'm guessing Daemon will be a side piece on the board who's choice on who to side with will determine the outcome of a war.

Thanks for no.4 that was driving me nuts thinking who he looked like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really enjoyed the episode but it's a bit incredulous that Rhaenyra would brazenly have multiple children that are clearly extra-marital and have none at all with Laenor.

It's good so far though, really like how all the pieces are being set up. I assume they're looking to make a solid run of seasons, but it's all based on one book so I'm guessing it'll have to be really stretched - we're probably still at the very start of the book at this point.

You would miss Milly Alcock but Emma Darcy isn't bad at all. Good to see Matt Smith get some proper depth rather than just being a feckless anarchist. Interesting to see what lies ahead for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I thought the exact same regarding #4

Edit: just see now that it's David Tennant's son!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rhaenyra & her kids is a bit silly ,

Knowing the lay of the land & what could happen to everyone for having the kids outside of marriage her hubby would have to do his duty & impregnate her ,

Other than that its been good ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did Cercei not do the same thing in the original series?

And somehow it's only now ten years in or whatever it is that people are staring to speculate.

I guess it wasn't as obvious...I mean Cersei's kids don't look massively more like Jamie than Robert (if he lost a bit of weight) to me...They should probably have cast these guys as Joffrey and Tommen to underscore the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Loved the ep, time jump and all. I'll miss the younger actors of course but they made the jump/switch at just the right point in the story and their relationship. With the former friends now bitter enemies after Alicents Discovery of Rhaenyra lies in ep 5, the new actors don't need to try and emulate Milly and Emily's chemistry as friends. I thought Emma D'Arcy and Olivia Cooke really nailed their roles. Emma played Rhaenyra with just the right amount of frustration and resolve that we always saw in Millys performance as she chaffed against her court role. Similarly I felt Olivias portrayal of a more hands on political Alicent tracked with what we saw at the wedding scene in the last episode.

I did find it somewhat surprising to find Daemon seemingly content living across the narrow sea in essos with Laena and 2 and a half sprogs . Laena wasn't surprising but the kids definitely were. Assuming they're his and its not a mirror of Rhaenyra/Strong/Laenor situation that is. I had always assumed he was impotent and that's why he acted the bollix, maybe by removing himself from the court intrigue and his brother disapproval he was finally able to keep wood.

As to all the people harping on about how Laenor should have just manned up and fathered his own children, I can only assume you're all Bi if you think it's as easy as all that. He might theoretically have had to sleep with Rhaenyra multiple times to get her pregnant and even then they might not end up with a male Heir( so would have to keep trying).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well to be honest it's not really anything to do with "manning up" as it is the reality of the world they live in and performing a duty, which is reflected in our own. There are any amount of gay people in real life throughout history who have sired children because it was expected of them.

That they would have no children would be somewhat believable, whatever the reason, or even that it was a mix of their own children and bastard children, more believable as well.

But that Rhaenyra, in her incredibly precarious position as heir to the Iron Throne, would solely have multiple bastards that are blatantly the result of extra-marital affair is a bit of a stretch.

Both are blond hair Valyrians, three kids with dark hair the spit of the Watch Commander and unable to bond with dragons....it just seems a silly stretch, and more so it seems a silly stretch that after 10 entire years no-one from either house seems to have taken any real issue with it either.

It's the second time I've found the show a bit lazy, the first was when the Crabfeeder conveniently sent his entire army out into the open to finish off a wounded, isolated Daemon. It just seems unnecessary simplistic and thoughtless even though the overall show is fine.

If anyone wants a pdf copy of Fire and Blood, PM me and I'll give you a link to download it. I am not a scammer:-) I uploaded it to a new google cloud account to share with any of the good people on here who might want to read it. It's a decent enough read which got me through lockdown lunchtimes at the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

@[Deleted User] Easy enough to source online? {********}

Edited out the name of a library, because not sure of the legality of free pdf's you can read online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

The switch to the new actors is a bit jarring

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Despite a few issues with the timeline jump that was a great episode.

Now I don't really know the names like the book readers so bare with me.

We are shown a library scene where Dameon is reading with one of the daughters like a doting father, then we learn that he doesn't pay much attention to them. The most telling scene was when he just walked away from the daughters in their grief. I'm confused.

Is the new clubbed foot Littlefinger not of the same house as the hand & father of the princes that he got the hanging crew to burn.

How is Ser Christan still there after his shitshow at the wedding. Ruining the whole 7 days of celebration for a shotgun wedding. Should have been offed there & then.

Dameons missus having a breach, was emotional but at least they should've had a back & forth before flame time.

Despite those misgivings this series has been tremendous. I'm just worried that they are rushing time jumps to get us linked up to the old GOT, this has been fine without the connection.

Also, there is far too much food at each meal, awful waste

Is the new clubbed foot Littlefinger not of the same house as the hand & father of the princes that he got the hanging crew to burn.

This lad?

Yep, bother & son....

I'de say new Littlefinger has a touch of Ramsey Bolton about him. He didn't have to personally watch all those lags get their tongues cut. He does now inherit Harrenhal though and has something over the queen.

I'm sure the queen could easily rewrite Ser Christan as the hero that day and the only person can dispute it would have to admit to being the dead lads gay lover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The time jump was definitely jarring. In particular not helped by Rhaenyra having children with a knight who looks like an older Ser Cristan, and then the actor who played the younger Ser Cristan popping up a few scenes later meaning the father of Rhaenyra's kids is just a completely new bloke. Cristan's reaction to everything 10 years on also just feels OTT.

GRRM's naming scheme has also come back to haunt them, as well as the whole "all children from the same parents must look and dress the same", because all the children in the show may as well just be called 'Child'. I found it hard to distinguish which child was being referred to at any time, it was only in the last scene that I realised Daemon has two daughters.

Advertisement