Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring a house

Options
  • 21-08-2022 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

During a survey of the house we are buying, the surveyor told us it needs rewiring. It's a mid-80s mid terrace house. 80m2.

Bit surprised that it is needed. Would have thought that it wasn't old enough for that to be an issue.

So question for any electrician reading. Any idea what the cost might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The wiring is around 40 years old, so not that suprising really. I would guess anything from €8k up depending on lots of factors.

I am not an electrical contractor, so maybe someone closer to this can give you a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It may need rewiring but how urgent is it? Thats the big question. Id be holding off if i could until things slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would get it checked out by an electrician. Generally the best time to get work like this done is before you move in, Once you start decorating, fitting carpets, furniture etc. you will only increase the costs.

Rewiring will probably need lifting floorboards, accessing ceilings, walls etc.

Best to get it done now if you can stretch the budget.

I am not an electrician but I have moved house a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Thanks everyone. Good advice all round.

Advertisement