Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Insurance for a sort of new driver ?!

Options
  • 21-08-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I tried to get online quotes for an Audi A5 Manual 2.0L 2009, I'm 37, received Full Irish license (manual) in Apr 2022.

Out of 5 online systems only 1 gave me a quote of about €2500, others systems provided a reference number and office number asking to call them. In my understanding, and as heard this likely due to lack of Irish driving experience.

I have driven all types of cars (V4 upto V12, manual and automatic) in UAE over a 10 year period, does this help in any way ?, Or is there any other way to have a reduced insurance amount.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

I think this is common when you're new to the market, but your engine size won't help - it's a significant factor in determining insurance premiums. Personally I don't use a broker but in your place I'd probably go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

For that car with no previous insurance history it's not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Unsure if this has to do with model/year, the online insurance systems failed to give me a quote when the model/year of the car was 2009.

I changed the model/year to 2011 and got a quote of about €800 from Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ideally you need 1.0L engine, less than 10 years old and a car not desirable to boy racers. Anything else you will pay a premium.

Once you have 5 years no claims you can go a bit crazy.

The chance if you having a crash in the first year is relatively high and the insurance premium reflects this..

Make sure you get a firm quote based on the reg before you buy anything.

Shopping around can help but smaller car is the way to go for year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These comments must be strange to the op.

Referring to 'that car' as a powerful one when he would likely regard it as the guttless entry level model having come from proper stuff in UAE.

Unfortunately that is how insurers work here..... I'd suggest get a newer car as they think anything over 10 years is dangerous and if you want some power get a plug in hybrid because from what I've seen they don't seem to penalise for 250 bhp in a phev anything like they would for a 250 bhp petrol car.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Definately phone a broker.They'll do all the searching for you.I've always had cheaper quotes from them than I could find myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You need to go to a broker, the main insurance companies won’t want to know

I have had company cars, come off them and say problem. They never quote. I just got insurance after 4 years on company car via Kenn Co and really aggressive pricing

Quote devil or someone else gave me a good price as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes it's the age OP, anything over 12 years old here most insurers won't quote for, surprised you even got one. Forget about inquiring online and ring and explain your situation, or as suggested go through a broker.

Advertisement