Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a radiator in a new build

Options
  • 22-08-2022 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everybody,

I don't know if you can help me clarifying this doubt I have?

My husband and I bought a new build which is in the process of being completed - we'll likely be snagging in the next 2 weeks.

The problem is that the builder put the radiator in the living room on the wall where the sofa would need to go (opposite the wall with the TV sockets).

We would like to move that radiator ASAP to the wall next to it. I've asked the builder to do it (we were willing to pay for it) but their answer was they wouldn't do it.

Also, I was told by a friend to check before moving the radiator as "changing to the heating system might void our Homebond insurance" 😨.

Do you know if this is true?

Thanks for your help folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭AnRothar

A radiator can be moved.

It can be messy and awkward and time consuming.

For example the floor may need to be broken out to relocate pipes.

Builder simply doesn't want the hassle as its probably not worth their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭youtheman

Assuming the wall is concrete block, and the pipes are already coming up out of the concrete floor, then it will be a reasonably significant job. You have to reroute the pies through the floor. You could possibly look at keeping the existing location, and putting in a vertical radiator. Then if you keep you couch out from the wall (slightly) you will still get the heat out of the radiator. Maybe not ideal, but only minor piping modifications required.

I wouldn't class moving a radiator as 'changing the heating system'. From a pure process point of view both options are the same.

Advertisement