Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mixer shower - no cold water coming out

• 22-08-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, any advice appreciated. We have a mixer shower where no cold is coming out, photo of mixer attached. No matter whether the mixer is set to 20ºC or 50ºC, the water always comes out at full hot tank temperature, i.e., too hot for a shower. I even closed the master valve for hot water to the whole house, and then nothing at all comes out regardless of the mixer setting.

Our water is high in Manganese and Iron and I suspect that the cold input is clogged with oxides and needs cleaning. I've done this before but only for the other mixer type (where the two pipes emerge from the wall at 150mm apart). I have no idea how to approach this mixer type.

The other possibility in my mind is that some incompetent plumber in the past hooked up the hot pipe to BOTH the hot & cold inputs for the mixer.

I took the faceplate off and there's not much to see - it's all cemented up behind.

So I have two questions:

1. If this type of mixer is set to pure cold, should the hot water come out at all? With the other (150mm apart) mixer type set to full cold, then no hot water comes out at all. But this mixer, which is not receiving cold water, still flows hot water when set to full cold. Does that seem odd?
    2. If I excavate the shower wall, how far do I have to go to find the hot & cold input pipes for this mixer type? I'd then need to disconnect the mixer, and clean the pipes. Is it a big job, destroying lots of shower tiles? I mean, if it's big enough a job, I'd probably just change out the mixer unit for one of the other (150mm) types.

Thanks all.

Advertisement