Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kbc to where?

• 22-08-2022 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

I've been looking at the different options and my head is melted. I dont want charges. Myself and my wife have 1 joint bank account, that everything goes into and cones out of. I was going to go with an post but then realised theres a montly charge and charges for cash withdrawals. Whats bonkers is pointing me towards ebs i think. What is anyones experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

EBS is planning to close their current account business and stay for mortgages only. So I'd go with AIB rather but use a credit card or Revolut for daily shopping to reduce the bill for charges. AIB stand alone fee is 4.50 Euro per quarter plus for each transaction which, as I said, can be avoided by using a credit or Revolut card. Another option is PTSB as you can get 10c back for each transaction which eventually covers up the monthly fee. But I absolutely hate PTSB for having a badly informed customer service and a terribly outdated online banking and the App so it's more for pensioners. Funny enough, my local PTSB branch is exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Credit unions are also offering current accts as are an post

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Banks can't make money by giving away their services, that is part of reason why they are exiting the market. The days of free banking are coming to an end all over Europe, so part of your decision criteria should be how often you want to go through the switching process because no matter who you go with now you can expect that they will introduce charges in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Not all credit unions are offering current accounts.

Consider if you need a bricks & mortar option or not. I went with PTSB for my small business because I need to lodge cheques from time to time, but plan to use Revolut for personal banking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

n26 for day to day, AIB for large deposits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

People complain that the banks are leaving. Then then want a bank that provides all the services free of charge.

There's a connection there.

Revolut are free, but their customer "service" if literally worse than Eir - far far far worse than Eir even in Eir's worse period. But yippe they are "free".

So if you go with revolut who have "free" banking and you suddenly find yourself locked out of your account and cannot talk to anyone. Remember, its "Free" and therefore ZERO customer care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Get a freeAIB account each, put wages in and transfer direct to N26 or revolut

Job done and what most people I know is doing

I have a free AIB accoutn because I have mortgage with them after moving from KBC…I refused to move to BOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Revolut have customer care, but as free it is limited so it can take a while to connect and get an answer

Advertisement