Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be aware of citywatches.ie

Options
  • 22-08-2022 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

First thing that pops up when you type Watches Online Ireland is probably citywatches.ie website, they have a really good SEO. I was looking to buy a watch and only place that I could find a watch that I wanted was this website. It looked legitimate, did some digging and it really did look that they are based in Ireland and ship locally. I went ahead and placed my order. Did some more digging today, and if you go to who.is website and check their domain, it's registered under "Redsol PTE Limited" and company is based in Singapore, which means they will ship from Singapore and you'll have to pay import fees to receive your watch. There is 0 information on their website that would state that they are based in Singapore. Don't get me wrong, they are legit business and you'll probably receive your goods that you ordered, they just don't ship from Ireland and there is 0 statements that they are based outside of EU. Little scummy from their side.

Feel free to post any alternative websites to buy watches from that are based in EU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PIX1E

Update:

Contacted them and kindly asked to cancel my order as it doesn't suit me. They stated that they ship from Singapore and shipped my order, completely ignoring request to cancel it. Scummy company.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

There are alot of those companies using ie domains to make it look like it's actually coming from Ireland, best doing some digging before handing over money to these cowboys.

It's not just domain, their website makes it look like they ship from Ireland or EU at least, no indication that they ship from Singapore. Stupid mistake from my side I guess. Just wanted to notify others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can you refuse the package when it arrives? My mate did that from a contact lens place "eurolenses" or something and they shipped from China. Suppose if they're dodgy enough, they'll just keep your money anyway.

It's a scumbag practice. "Irelands premier online watch store" in their tagline. Always look at the "contact us" or "about us". If they don't have details there, forget it. If the only way of contacting them is fill out an online form, forget it. City watches have no option to not allow cookies, straight away that's a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Their website looks like a clone of watchshop.com with similar font colouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

Thanks for the heads up, PIX1E. I had a look through the testimonials. Couple of posts suggest that the price paid included all taxes/import fees etc. Perhaps it will work out better than u currently think ??

https://www.citywatches.ie/testimonials/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

There re no real contact details on the site, a phone number or address. 100% red flag for any purchase.

Interesting their twitter says they are in Manchester https://twitter.com/CitywatchesI

Managed to get my order cancelled. They are requesting me to remove bad review from TrustPilot as I left one. I told them that everything I stated in my review was 100% correct. I told them that I'll remove my review under 1 condition, if they state in their website, that they are based outside of EU and ship from Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

If I'm ever suspect about a website and where they're based, i usually go through either their Privacy Policy or Terms & Conditions. You'll usually find something in there that'll suggest where they operate from

Glancing through the Ts&Cs for Citywatches, it states (down near the bottom):

Governing Law and Jurisdiction

These Terms shall be governed and construed in accordance with the Laws of Singapore, without regard to its conflict of law provisions.

That would raise red flags all over the place for me

Just sharing my experiences!

I made it! I told them that I'll remove my bad review if they will specify in their website that they ship from Singapore, and they updated their website and it now specifies in Shipping page that they ship from Singapore. That's a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Has anyone ordered from these recently?

I made a query re delivery to Ireland and got this reply.

“Thank you for your email.

We ship to your country via "DHL DDP prepaid" shipping method. You

should receive your shipment in 2-4 working days.

Please make note that once you select the "DHL prepaid duties / taxes"

shipping method for your order, tax gets included.

So on receiving the shipment, there are no other taxes applied.

Best Regards,

Mayuri N.

Customer Service Representative”

Cheers.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Just to add the watch I’m looking at will work out at circa €500 cheaper than retail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Found that after about a minute on the site

Thanks. Yes seen that. But nothing like getting actual feedback from someone who may of used these.

Don’t you think?

Advertisement