Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp accomodation while building works happening

Options
  • 22-08-2022 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

Am in the midst of discussions with Architect and QS, for a house extension and refit.

Architect insists we will have to move out - apart from the cost, this is the part that scares me the most.

Architect is sort of flippant about it....yes you will have to move out, as if it wasnt a big deal.

Myhome.ie is showing about 50 houses for rent in Dublin at the moment - how are people managing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When I was helping a friend move to Ireland (Dublin specifically) a couple of years ago, we tried to source short term lets through the normal approach (letting agents) and found some really dodgy arrangements. It was like peering at the underbelly of the housing market.

In the end she got sorted for a couple of months with Airbnb. It was expensive but not cripplingly so, like double a normal long term rental.

You might be ok out of summer tourist season but obvs pressure from refugees is high right now particularly with them being turfed out of student accommodation.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Maybe look at a mobile home/caravan in the garden depending on space if it doesn't cause problems with the builders. Check out planning for same though to include it if heading that way. Any family around with space? My sister lived in her house when it was being extended, said never again. Despite efforts, dust everywhere! Plus days without heating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thanks - how long did your sister do that for? I think its an easy thing to say, but the reality of it quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

It was 4-5 months if I recall. An eternity when you've tradesmen trapsing in and out with different impacts to rest of the house each day.

Advertisement