Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Would it be worth changing my Redmi Note 10 Pro to this? The Redmi doesn't have OIS, so the camera, while it's 108mp, isn't actually brilliant. Seems the 6a got good reviews for the camera. Still some available in Argos and Currys for €359 - the latter probably the better option to buy from as Argos will be gone in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Thanks for that - is it worth making the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

€299.00 on Vodafone Pre-pay at the moment or €249 if you move your number as well

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Recently,some of my incoming calls on my 6a ring twice then drop out. Callers get a message saying "your call could not be connected"....anyone else have this problem? Or is it a SIM card issue? Been reading online that it could be a handset issue. Only have phone about 7 months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I cracked the screen on my 4a today... thought I'd pick up the offer on Vodafone for the 6a, but theyre sold out. Any other suggestions where to get a good deal on one?

Can you tell me if this offer is sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rhinosaurious

You can ring the stores in your area one of them probably have them

I got the last one in Dundrum, they seemed to think the offer was over. Can confirm that the phone I received was sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ConorC1

Is there any way to get it for €249 on Vodafone without moving your number?

It looks for a verification code and you can pick a date (up to a month away) to get the number ported over. Could you cancel the porting after you get the phone or is it case of once you have provided them with the code they have control and it will happen automatically

Use another sim.

From my experience. Hit an miss if they'll move your number.

Don't have a spare one unfortunately. Would have to get one and activate it..

From further reading in their Ts & Cs..

Pay as you go customers:

• You must have topped up credit by at least €120 between each unlock request

Will just leave it I think. Was hoping to just unlock it straightaway and put my existing sim. However, if I've to top up by 120 then it doesn't make the offer feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nothing works on their site as its described.

None of the phones (nokia, Pixel, Xiaomi) I've got from Vodafone in recent years have been locked. I'm not saying they all will be unlocked. Just my recent experiences is they aren't.

I see it's 249.99 in Vodafone as mentioned above.

Might get an Eir sim to get the offer.

Just want to make sure:

1. The phone is actually unlocked?

2. Can you get the offer in store? I remember I got my mam a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 on the offer in store.

Thanks.

I bought two from Vodafone in the past week. Both unlocked. You can get the offer in store. If you don't switch a number it's €299. They seem to be running out quickly, the guy in Dundrum told me it was end of line as I took the last one. They had none the next time I went in. I had to go to Blanchardstown for the second phone.

Ok thanks. I might try a local store so. €299 not switching a number is not too bad either!

Went into an Eir store and got a €10 sim. Went to Vodafone shop and used it to get the €249 offer. Staff member said I'd to top up by €20 there and then to avail of the offer so I just went with it. When I looked online earlier today I didn't need to buy the €20 top up. So in total I spent €30 to get the offer. Donated the Eir €10 credit to charity before the number was ported over. Will just donate the Vodafone €20 as well as it's no use to me

• Advertisement

Like others above I got an Eir sim and then off to Vodafone store and got the 6a for €249.99. They didn't make me get a top up. Gonna set up the phone shortly, just backing up my old phone first!

Just another question as I haven't had a Google phone before. Is there no local photos app? Seems they are all just going to the Google photos app. I'm coming from a Xiaomi so that had its own Gallery app then also you could set it up they they saved to Google Photos.

Also, I did a data transfer from phone to phone and some Mi apps transferred over. Had to uninstall them. Presume it just transferred over whatever apps were on the phone even some Mi apps?

It's pure android. Google photos is the default app. You can install something different if you don't like it.

Ok thanks. No it's fine, Google Photos is perfect. Pretty much all of my last phone was based around the Google apps and some of the Xiaomi apps were annoying. Reason for the change was I wasn't allowed to view videos anymore on my Redmi Note 10 Pro unless I agreed to give Mi Video access to storage etc. After I updated the system. It never previously needed that.

Anyway I see on Google Photos now there is a camera section for just looking at the locally stored photos and videos on the phone!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

"Reason for the change was I wasn't allowed to view videos anymore on my Redmi Note 10 Pro unless I agreed to give Mi Video access to storage etc"

That was a change in how permissions work in the new version of Android you updated to.

Ah ok, I got a bit paranoid! I know it's just the Mi apps, not some random ones, and the Xiaomi phones are sold by networks here but it never came up before. I did notice the likes of Snapchat and other camera apps after the update were asking for similar permissions.

Also, I had been thinking of getting a Pixel phone anyway and this along with the good offer offer for the 6a with Vodafone (I think €249.99 is good anyway) I said I'd go for it.

Enjoying the 6a so far. Camera seems better, but I think the Note 10 Pro might look a bit better user wise (more colours). Otherwise not much of a difference really between the two as the Xiaomi work from the Google apps mostly with some of their own then. The 6a is slightly smaller which doesn't bother me too much.

One thing I did notice - we have SIRO at home and the wifi speeds off the 6a are double what they were on the Redmi.

Phone feels quite hot at the back even with light use. I read online this can be an issue. Did all the updates so the phone is now up to date. Some say it takes a few days to feel normal. Anyone else have this issue?

On my 4a5g I've only noticed it getting hot when on the dash on a super hot day day 30c+. Where it actually started to act weird until I let it cool down.

We have a 6a in the house and never had it get warm. Not yet anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Still getting hot, even after a few minutes of browsing on Chrome, it's the back that gets hot (not boiling but it heats up as if I'm playing a game that requires a lot of processor use).

I did read it can happen for the first few days so will see.

I checked all the settings, and made sure some apps were restricted, so it's not like there are any apps that are running in the background using up the hardware. Hoping it sorts in a few days, as currently it feels like a phone that can't handle simple processes, it feels like the way my iphone 6s did years ago when I had it over two years and I needed a change after having it so long as it got hot easily after light use.

Also, the battery is low and it was at 100% at 8am this morning. I thought it would have been around 50% at this stage (previous phone was and it was over a year old). In saying that I did put through a few updates this morning so maybe it was that.

• Advertisement

Another comment - phone doesn't come with a wall charger. For now I'm using the charger I had with my Xiaomi which is 22.5w fast charger. But don't think the 6a has fast charging as it is saying 3 hours to full charge. I'm used to fast charging now.

Thinking of ordering this:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_c_30w_charger?hl=en-US

Will it work as stated as a fast charger? I see cheaper non brands on Amazon. Would they be an option?

Above one is from Google store on Amazon!

Advertisement