Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling House

Options
  • 23-08-2022 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So it looks like our house sale is not going to fall through after months of uncertainty...

So I need to cancel stuff...

With regards Gas & Electric...do I just ring them up as ask to close my account as I'm no longer the owner/occupier and provide meter readings...

With TV/Broadband, with sky so does anyone have any idea how to get them to cancel quickly?

Banks accounts still at parent's address so no panic there.

Cancel bins...

Anything else I'm missing...

Sale is likely to close in 3 weeks, I probably should have done this earlier, but up to yesterday the sale looked like it had fallen through along with losing the new house so the say the last 8 weeks have been stressful would be an understatement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

From my experience of doing this about 10 times,

Gas and Electric just need a reading, and they will send a final bill. The person moving in should sign up their chosen provider. Be aware that you don't want to leave a large amount of time between you cancelling, and the new owner signing up, as they could incur fees. Ensure you leave things off, such as heating when you leave.

Broadband and TV can be a pain, but if you are planning on using the same provider in the new location, they will sometimes make it easy for you. Otherwise, cancel it now. If you are still in contract, you may incur a fee. Keep any modems / routers and set top boxes. They might ask for them back, as you may be connected to a more modern version of the service in the new location.

Cancel bins immediately.

I would also recommend using An Posts letter forwarding service.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Small tip, if you do not intend on signing up with the same provider in your new home, do NOT let them know you're moving. They will put up a fight.

I said I'm emigrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭frank730

Also need to change address on car registration cert, can do online only at the time when you are paying for motor tax, or it has to be posted out

Advertisement