Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Termination - exposed wires?

Options
  • 23-08-2022 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi folks -

I live up North and I had a BT Openreach engineer round the other day to run a Fibre cable from the nearest pole to my house, free of charge to boot - grand, lovely stuff, 500Mb broadband sorted. However the way the termination was left has me a bit worried - at present the very thin Fibre cable just twirls out of the edge of a little plastic faceplate and loops into the Openreach box in a way which I'm not entirely sure is healthy. the only possible location for the box was in the living room at about windowsill level next to the couch. I understand Fibre cables can't be bent except in a loopy way but is this entirely normal or safe? I have two wee cats and I wonder whether they'd be able to chew through this in two seconds or catch it with their claws and - poof, no more broadband! Pics attached for reference.

So, is this cause for concern? Should I cover it up with a little plastic box cut to size? How was your FTTH install carried out and (unlikely) has your cable ever frayed so badly that it needed replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Looks like they just brought the fibre through an existing hole from your phone line to save another box and another hole in your wall. It's not particularly elegant. Normally there is a termination point from the fibre outside to a box inside and then there is a fire cable plugged into that which goes to the other box.

Its such a small cable doubt there is much room for damage before it causes problems with the link quality itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

It's not an existing hole; on the day the fellow just showed up and drilled a new hole straight thru the wall and put that faceplate over it. Petty trivia but it's actually a rental property and I've counted about four separate phoneline ports with various logos on them as well as a Virgin Media termination box.

"Its such a small cable doubt there is much room for damage before it causes problems with the link quality itself." That's my worry, aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

The thing is even if a better box was put with correct termination a fibre cable would still be run externally. The only advantage though would be you'd be able to replace it handier.

Can you take the cover off the lower box to see what they have done?

Maybe a bit of trunking or cable guard could be used to keep it safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

That's what prompted me to post this actually, saw another install where they'd run a jacketed cable into the terminal box, looped it round and then there was a female port you could run another fibre cable out of and that seemed more sensible - I wouldn't mind if I could just buy a replacement cable off the web for a few pounds, but this way appears like I'd need to call an engineer if the cable happened to break.

Seems like it's only held in place by a few clips so probably easy enough to take off the plate, I might well do that if I can do it without disturbing the cable. Otherwise aye, I'll be finding some way to trunk it.

Advertisement