Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy to get over a fear?

Options
  • 23-08-2022 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I wasn't sure where to put this, so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I have a fear of something that heavily impacts my day-to-day life and is honestly making my life a so difficult. Is there some kind of therapy I could go do to try and overcome it? Who or where would I contact?

Has anyone ever overcome a fear from going to therapy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Depending on what the fear is, exposure therapy can be successful in treating phobias. CBT can also be very helpful, again depending on the phobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I echo what Dial Hard says. There's different types of therapy out there. You can get 6 free sessions if you're working in most jobs, a service called EAP provides this for you. You can also go to your GP and they can refer you onto the public waiting list for psychological services. You may be waiting months. You can also go private to see a clinical psychologist/ counselling psychologist/ psychotherapist. A mental health practitioner is not a protected title in Ireland meaning anyone can call themselves a counsellor/psychologist without the necessary qualifications. This usually consists of a doctorate in the profession though I think psychotherapist can be qualified after 7 years but I'm not totally sure about psychotherapy either.

At the end of the day, finding the right therapist for you is half the battle, because it's important you feel comfortable with them and sometimes it doesn't always happen.

PSI (Psychological Services Ireland) provide a directory for qualified therapists below

Psychology is my background and I've used CBT on myself to overcome a fear in the past.

I can well undestand how you feel.I am in the same positiin myself.I have seen lots of Counsellors overvthe years.I saw a Psychologist weekly for 6 months.I have been thinking about Hypnotherapy at this stage.I spoke to one who said he was 50% sure he could fix my problem,the other said he was 100%..Its a lot of money,so I havent gone ahead with that yet.I wish you all the best,and I hope you find someone who can help with your problem.

Advertisement