Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clubcard

Options
  • 23-08-2022 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

What are people doing about this?

I refuse to sign up for a clubcard, due to concerns about privacy.

Is there a way to get a clubcard, either online or actual card, without them knowing my personal details?

I am convinced its a scam, the 2 tier pricing for a lot of items. The big teaser price is clubcard only, and I have to had leave stuff at the till because I was misled over prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Can you share a clubcard account with someone you know if you really don't want Tesco having your details....then you get any clubcard discounts and the other person will get the clubcard points for anything you buy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure how it is a scam?

If you have the clubcard you get the clubcard price...if you don't...you don't.

I think the clubcard in Tesco is excellent, scan as you shop means you can check offers etc are applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do you have to give them a real name and address? I mean you don't need the physical card these days as you can use the app. I think you need a mobile phone number but I assume you have a burner phone so the phone company doesn't have your details either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Why do you care if tesco knows you buy bog roll and a bit of bread and milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I shop online all the special offers are now with Tesco and I have noticed that all he special offers are now branded as club card prices. The system remembers what you buy and kindly reminds you that you might have forgotten something before you finalise the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This.

Unless I think there's a risk of the company somehow "losing" my data, through a hack for example, and I think tesco are big enough to have adequate systems in place (open to correction on that), then they can track my purchases all they want.

I still only buy what I want, and the offers are good enough to keep me coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tesco dont care about your name or address.

They just need that info to send you money off coupons and in return track your buying habits along with the other 30 million people who shop there every week.

You're not that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RuuupShligo

Here's Mine if anyone would like to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Is this a link to www pamelaanderson . com?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I wouldn't be too worried about privacy with Tesco and how bothered they are with your info. They've had my name wrong for years on my card and details, and I know another person who is using the card of a deceased relative still. The only thing they're bothered about is shopping habits. I'd imagine you could start a card with a one off email address and no home address now if you really wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

You're right about it, and have every right to be concerned.

The whole thing is a scam, but not in the way you think. There's something in the small print about sharing your information with third parties and with the government which i find quite bizzare, but then they word it saying they're doing it so you can have a "better shopping experience" which is really just a load of balony.

Phone numbers don't get shared, but other info like spending habits and shopping patterns and the times you use the card in the store, all that info is shared along with what products and what offers you bought into. It's used for marketting purposes but its also sold on as "consumer data".

Now normally i don't mind the idea of sharing some info, because being able to get €1 in vouchers back for every €100 i spend during the year is okay i guess. But what really gets me now is how they're forcing others to sign up and give away their info freely before they can even make any purchases on special offers really boils my blood, as now and for the past year or so they refuse to give anyone any special offers unless they sign up to their scheme, making their clubcard now needed! And even some of those offers are misleading or not really an offer. But thats a whole separate discussion as its talking about offers and not the card itself.

Any updates from OP? does op still use tesco? does OP have a card? i might be able to look around, i may have found one that he/she can re-use if thats any use, since they don't wish to give away personal info. would come in handy i imagine being able to make use of it and get access to special offers. i once forgot to bring my own card and it was a nightmare, the items i was buying came to €22 more than i had intended on spending, all because i had forgotten to bring the bloody card with me lol.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Stared using the app about a year ago. Since then I've gotten no coupons for discounts on certain products. I used to get them posted out when I used the physical card. Now it's just points converted into vouchers. Is this right?

I'm screwed an odd time if I forget the phone. Difference in price is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes just a blanket money off thing now via the app.

Advertisement