Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone watching the big bottoms on Rose Of Tralee?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

Daithe may get more than a pog next year when leaning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's not a sports contest or a contest of skill, I think you have to be friendly , look attractive and dress a certain way to win any beauty competition , look at models advertising beauty products, 90 per cent of models are skinny , slim, most women don't look like that, yes there's more body diversity and more black women , in advertising but most women in ads on tv look a certain way. People talk about body diversity but I find it hard to think of any actress who gets lead roles who is not slim and fit and sexy looking in a conventional way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

No it's not "great". If people in general are getting bigger it's often because they eat too much and excess weight and obesity are not things to parade on prime time media however the woke agenda might see it. Maintaining a proper body weight is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle and that is the message that needs to be sent out. 60 odd years ago images of everybody from glamorous celebrities to your ordinary joe included the must have accessory cigarette as they merrily puffed away. 60 years later with millions of untimely smoking related deaths and health issues worldwide, not to mention the cost to health services, it's a very different attitude. If people want to get fat that's their own business but it's not something to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Who said celebrate? It’s representing what is true in society. If you want to gloss over that and show nothing but skinny Minnies, well it’s just not real. Like it or not, fat people exist, like people with disabilities exist, like people of all ethnicities exist but to want to exclude people to portray some sort of utopia is at best vain and at worst downright discriminatory.

Hey calm down! My point had nothing whatsoever to do with minority groups and if you read it again you will see that. Nor did I even mention, let alone encourage, the other extreme of "skinny minnies." And I'm sorry but you are celebrating excess weight by saying it's "great" to see it on TV. I don't think it's great at all because, to repeat my original point, a lot of fat people exist due to unhealthy lifestyle choices like over eating, wrong eating, lack of exercise. Parading that on prime time TV is sending out the wrong message to young girls. Every bit as wrong as the message of being stick thin. And would you go easy flinging about words like "excluding" and "discriminatory!" If I'm being "exclusive" or "discriminatory" by stating the fact that poor lifestyle choices like over eating are unhealthy and should not be celebrated then fine. Yes some people cannot help being fat and large and are so due to reasons beyond their control and that's fair enough. But a lot of people don't need to be. And some day society will count the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

What you’re actually saying is fat people shouldn’t be allowed to participate, dress it up any way you like but that’s the nub of it. look you have your opinion, I have mine. I’m looking forward to an even more diverse line up next year. I certainly hope it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Company's go on about body diversity, what that means is they have 10 models, one or 2 of them will be curvy like a real women , 90 per cent of women do not look like the models you see in fashion magazines who are mostly slim with small breasts and bottoms. I'm not an expert but clothes tend to look better on women who are slim and petite for the purposes of advertising

Post edited by riclad on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@getoutadodge do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

• Advertisement

Will you please stop misrepresenting my posts and twisting my point. In your first post you accused me of being discriminatory and in your second that I said fat women should not be on Rose of Tralee. Please go back and point exactly to where I did either!

My point has nothing to do with Rose of Tralee per se. My points are all about the problem of obesity and excess weight which are a well documented and growing problem.

Advertisement