Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Hotel with a Sea View

• 24-08-2022 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife are looking for a 3 night European break that must have a sea view. Ideally a short distance from an Irish Airport - we can do Dublin/Cork easy or even Shannon.

First short break away without little one. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Northern Spain/Portugal or Ideally France. I've never understood why I've never visited anywhere in France outside Paris.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have a look at San Sebastian in N Spain. Bookings. com or equivalent for your budget range. You can fly into either Biarritz or Bilbao. There is a bus from Bilbao that is very efficient. Same opposite direction. Plenty of sea view hotels but they can be pricey! San Seb is a terrific spot for a short break. Weather can be a bit Celtic but the food in the old town more than makes up for it. I am sure you will look it up anyway.

See Royal Blue Hotel Dubrovnik. Now there's a sea view! The area itself is amazing.

For France, there is no place other than Nice or surrounding areas like Juan les Pins etc. for hotels with sea view. But again, very pricey. The train line that goes from Cannes to the Italian Border is like the DART. Very handy for exploring and not expensive either. There is a new tram system in Nice also that makes it very easy to get around. It operates to and from the Airport too.

There is a premium on sea views as you know, so you might have to curb your enthusiasm and stay around the corner from one!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Jesper

We have been quiet with holidays this year with the little one and the past 2 years with Covid. So we are 'happy' to even pay Irish Prices (exorbitant) for the flight convenience and right hotel. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out those spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dubrovnik is amazing!! If a little crowded these days as the whole world has copped on to it....

But this soviet-era monstrosity is directly across the bay from Dubrovnik Old Town. I stayed in it about 20 years ago, and it was so bad it was good! I have no doubt it's been done up at least once in the meantime, and as it's not actually in Dubrovnik it may be a bit better value.

Cavtat is a gorgeous little fishing village (well, it was back then) and you could get a water taxi across to the Old Town.

It's about 5 minutes from the airport.

No shortage of sea view rooms in this one!! 🤣

Edited to add the link....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For s 3 day trip, Nice is perfect as airport is local. There’s a nice mid range Mercure right on promenade des anglais with glass walls and small terraced rooms.

Nice restaurants, a trip to the Matisse museum.

Advertisement