Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew Tate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Thanks muchly. I will go to the help desk. Sorry for thread derail!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sports coaches were some of the role models I remember from my childhood too. I admire anyone who puts themselves in that position. It's not just about the sport. The role model is modelling all kinds of behaviour. From the sport stuff like hoe to deal with winning or losing, how to deal with frustration etc. But if you're a role model, then the children are watching and learning everything you do. How you deal with the gym staff, bus driver, other parents and your partner or children if they ever show up.

And no role model is perfect. Yourself included I'm sure. If Rogan can have a positive impact without to much conspiracy theory stuff rubbing off, then I'd take the win. One of my favourite sport coaches was a really sound man. Learned loads from him. But he'd also show up on a Saturday morning, hungover and stinking of booze, to mind children for the day. It was the 90s so I'm not criticising him. Just to point out that no one role model is enough. It takes lots of people to model lots of behaviours to help a young person figure out how they want to behave.

Indeed. I remember the PE teachers in my own secondary school (jokingly called a "college" in its name in Raheny for some reason) growing up. They literally did nothing except the bare minimum of overseeing. They set us to playing football or rugby or whatever and that was it. Those of us who had never played it or did not know the rules or were just bad at it were not coached - guided - or informed. We were all just expected to either know what we were doing - learn it from the other kids - or stand in the corner looking and feeling sorry for yourself.

So I geneally ran away from the ball in school - especially in Rugby - because I genuinely had no idea what I was meant to do with it if and when I got it. Our "college" had it's own swimming pool too and I had not learned to swim and had a mild fear of the water - so I was basically left standing in the cold in my swimming gear because those same teachers had no interest in teaching me anything. They just sat in the corner with a vague eye on the pool to see if anyone was drowning and ignored me lest they might have to do something like - I dunno - teach.

So while no role model or coach is perfect some are horrifically worse than others for sure. And it's a shame given how much I have taken to sport, Martial arts, and personal fitness in the last 15 or so years. If I had had good guidance and coaching as a child who knows what I might have done with it or what my level might be today. I am 44 now and I sometimes I feel I missed out on much of 15-30 entirely and had no coaches or role models that I looked to.

But to take it back to role models specifically in the sport of UFC/MMA - as their legitimacy to be such was being discussed a bit - many of the people who reach the pinnacle of that sport do so through discipline - overcoming failure and doubt - hard work - and respect. So they are in a perfect position to be potentially very good role models and coaches if we let them. Though some of them defnitely do let the side down badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been delving a bit more into this moron's video as a matter of interest just to see how deep his idiocy goes.

Check out this absolute diatribe of nonsense.

Apparently nobody in the west needs therapy because something something, whataboutery, Syrians being killed by bombs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, the hateful, exploitative probable rapist moron is a hateful, exploitative probable rapist moron.

I'll take your word for it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The fact that he's a filthy twat doesn't mean he isn't putting on a character that's designed to appeal to the stupid and the vulnerable so he can relieve them of their money under the guise of faux life hacks and pseudo philosophies. His internet, hardshaw "alpha male", act is still a character he puts on as a lure.

His legal transgressions are a different matter, albeit part of the character he likes to project. He's probably high on the stink of his own farts at this point, he doesn't know where one Andrew Tate ends and the other begins, even if all his personas are absolute wankers of the lowest kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

First paragraph - not relevant because i never claimed to the contrary.

Second paragraph - he didn't break the law in order to try and create a character persona: he did it because he wanted to cash in on slavery.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Whatever the reasons, if young lads need to resort to a character like Tate for a role model, then it suggests their older peers and older generations have failed to be decent, visible, role models.

I don't blame the young lads who wanted a role model and fell for this guy who offered to provide exactly what they were looking for. Can't fault them for looking for a role model. Thats what they're supposed to do. I can't help thinking it's our fault for not providing them with what they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Older generations aren't allowed to be role models nowadays. The way my grandfather would have thought when compared to my father wouldn't be that much different. However, the way I'd think from my kids would be vastly different. They have totally different attitudes to a multitude of stuff. Older generations tend to think that people with penises can't be women etc. Can't have a transphobe as a role model. They might like a coal fire, or a big juicy stake. Can't have a non-vegan planet killer as a role model nowadays. And so on.

I agree with you that it's our fault for not providing them with what they need. We've raised a weak, unresilient, generation.

I've no idea what Andrew Tate is like as I couldn't be ar5ed looking at his videos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is just the standard boomer crap with a healthy dose of deranged culture war anti-trans guff thrown in for good measure.

There are plenty of older figures people admire. Ironically, you're just sort of proving the point you're trying to make with this contrived image of misery.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You wouldn't allow a meat eater to be a role model? Fair enough if its that important to you but I was just chatting with TaxAHgruel above about how role models aren't perfect. They're not supposed to be perfect.

Do older people not see themselves as worthy of being role models anymore? Is that what you're suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm saying young people don't see older people as being worthy of being role models because most of the older person's views don't fit today's narrative, e.g. lots of young people think eating meat is killing the planet whereas you'll struggle to find a pensioner who thinks people who eat a steak are harming the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The whole point of a role model is that you focus on the character not the demographic. But one of the core attibutes is an open mind and an ability to pass on neutral information without prejudices or coereced opinion.

To take one example: a pushy vegan is just as unlikely to be a good role model as a pushy meat-eater, and a neutral meat-eater or vegan will be better than either (at least in terms of diet and animal rights/ethics discussion).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So old people should just throw thier hands up and not bother to learn about young people and teach young people because their views might not align on today's culture war wedge issue?

I don't think you need to tackle the daily mail culture wars in every (or even in any) interactions with children. I don't remember any of my role models shoehorning in the culture war issues of the 90s like whether homosexuality should be illega, or whether divorce should be allowed. Maybe they did and I don't remember.

Maybe older people could model that having different opinions is OK. I don't think children are as upset by others holding different opinions as the old people you're describing.

I'd disagree that any of this is about role models. I certainly didn't have any that I can remember growing up, just two decent parents who pushed me to do well in school, college so I could get a good job. But if teenage me had relatively unfettered access to all of the swill that exists on the internet right now, I'd say there's a fair chance I wouldn't be the normal joe soap that I am today.

I've no solution to this by the way; restricting kids from the internet during their teenage years probably runs the risk of turning them into Billy no mates or whatever. But yeah, the internet. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, it's not what I see at the local McDonald's, and teenagers don't seem to have much of a commitment to recycling either judging by the amount of energy drink cans and bottles littered around the place...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

God yeah, it's almost like there are differences between individuals in a generation. Almost as if a whole generation, to a man, aren't ardent environmentalists.

I think you're gone a bit off the topic of Tate now though.

I think it's all about role models. I also think role models are a pretty broad category. Family, aunts and uncles, neighbours, sports coaches, older peers, friends parents, teachers etc. can be role models. Maybe you grew up without any of those people in your life who you admired.

The fact that Tate’s following is so concentrated among boys and young men, suggests its all about role models. Those groups are perfectly entitled to seek out role models and if they haven't had any decent role models on their life, then maybe Tate’s advice sounds appealing. But the fact that he's speaking directly to them is certainly appealing to them.

I feel genuinely sorry for the blokes who are seduced by tthis character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭its_steve116

"I want it thaaaaaat waaaaayyy..."

Sorry. I couldn't resist. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I cant believe some people actually admire this idiot

Hah - for anyone who knows my history or knows me personally they would know exactly why I am better placed to laugh at that Tweet above better than most.

But it echoes what I said earlier to the user who claimed he occasionally says something young men should hear. And I responded that many religions - fad diets - pick up artisty - even horoscopes - succeed because they parcel something useful inside a package of (often harmful) nonsense. Mainly because the packaging is their product rather than what is inside the packaging.

And the above Tweet is a good example of this. Taken alone the last sentence is not a bad sentence. But he has packaged it in this product. His product appears to me so far (again I know very little about him) to be the packaging not what is inside the packaging. The Role models I would promote or recommend are more the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

For someone you dislike so much you sure do spent a lot of time looking at his content.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is there any way we can crowdfund this being set up? I'd pay good money to see him mauled by a wolf!

I dont look at his content. I copied the pic from a facebook post that mocked him. Do you not think he should be mocked for posting that nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He specifically said "in Mortal Kombat", which is the video game. He's only sure of wining because the wolf's paws would have trouble operating the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

I could care less, seems most of his PR is from the usual woke bridge giving him the attention he craves.

• Advertisement

Glad the WOKE finally got a brigade. They were lagging behind the health and safety /PC gone mad brigade and the anti-racist brigade and definitely the environment brigade. Good for the WOKE to form their brigade. You'll know you're in the brigade if they send your membership card.

Advertisement