Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cranked Gate Hinges

• 24-08-2022 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭

Where can I get cranked hinges for H-Irons (RSJ)?

Got some field gate that needs them. Gate is mounted to centre of RSJ, but is hinge bound (~120 degrees) before it gets to rest back against fence (180 degrees).

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭148multi

Are you talking about hinges like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You should check out local iron works. I had hinges made locally, years ago. They used modified ESB hinges, adding on a sort of decorative detail. They were for heavy timber garage doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yip, those are the type, but for a field gate. Was thinking along the like of below which clamp onto the RSJ. Might have to modify one myself to put the crank onto it. To prevent the gate from articulating I may have to drill through the top and bottom spuds and insert a roll pin to make it solid. Another option would be to grind a flat face onto the spuds - like a 'D'. That's really the only difficult bit.

If they were on the market I'd buy one if reasonably priced, but not sure if they are available for field gates. Problem with field gates is that its really only the spuds that are strong enough for working with.

Local supplies fella only had std stuff. With a bit of thinking I could make what I need myself, if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭148multi

You could use old wishbone joints like these, weld an eye for the rsj, bolt one down on top and one on bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What are you trying to do exactly? Is it to stop the gate hitting the RSJ when you swing it around? How much of an angle are you hoping to swing it around?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Yes - gets hinge bound at around 120 degrees and cattle going between fields have burst off the bottom spud rubbing against it. Should be able to get it to swing round 180deg with a cranked hinge so that it is lying back against the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

In that situation I just make hinges out of angle iron. Cut a piece of heavy angle iron about 3 inches longer than the width of the pillar. Weld a bushing or piece of heave gun barrel piping on one of the flat surfaces of the angle out at one end, making sure you weld it on the correct end depending on which direction the gate is opening. Do the same for the top.

If you can get a genny welder then weld to the pillar at the field. If it’s not possible to get a genny welder bore 2 16mm holes in each of the hangers to suit the pillar. Then have a few batteries charged for your cordless drill and just spend a bit of time at the field drilling out the pillar and bolt it up.

It’ll be a far stronger job than them hangers you can buy.

Edit to add;

A picture paints a thousand words! I found one from where I had made up some before.

@DBK1 - so yours is essentially an offset hinge like this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yea the same idea as that alright. It gives you 270 degrees of movement in the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If it was me, I'd make up a heavy bracket and set it out like suggested above.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement